1987 Bass Tracker V16 SC Guide Special Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JamesM56alum said:
Looks great

Thanks! I finished sealing all the wood with West Systems 105. Now I am about to start the rewiring of the entire boat. Once the rewiring is done, I will order my carpet and begin that whole process!

I've got a 1988 Guide Special that I'm thinking about replacing the transom. What thickness of plywood did you use for your transom and the rest of the decking? What kind of plywood did you use(Marine)? Thanks.

For the Transom I bonded 3/4" and 1/2" with Epoxy then double coated it with West Systems. I used 1/2 sanded plywood for the decks and coated them in West Systems as well. Still waiting for my carpet to come in then I will be done.

How solid are the tracker v-bottom boats? Do you think they are big lake or offshore material?

shmelty said:
JamesM56alum said:
Any updates ?

Soon.... I hope :D

Just buttoning up the wiring and waiting for carpet. Had to many weekend obligations to even look at her over the last few months.

I just started my Tracker V Guide Special too. The deck was rotted very bad.
I have the 1989 Tracker with a 25hp Evinrude 2 stroke, but looks just like your boat.
For the front lower deck 5 3" x 4, I used the old deck as a pattern. I cut, and needless to say, it didnt fit very well. Was not an issue previously because the carpet used was not really marine grade carpet, so it was thicker and did not show the "crooked" cut deck. How did you create your pattern for the lower deck. How did you get the curve looking so close. Is there a secret?

I have replaced the large deck and it is carpeted, I will finish cutting the other pieces ten replace carpet all at once.

Where did you get the hatches, and the PVC underneath the hatches? Great idea, by the way, am thinking of putting my trolling motor battery up front.

I am also going to install all weather conduit and run the wiring thru it, and will also add lights to the rod boxes.

One more question, Whare are you using to seal the wood, and where did you buy it.

Great job you are doing.
Regards,
Ron

For the curved deck up front i kind of lucked out. The old desk was completely rotten on the left side but the right side was in okay shape. I measured the original and cut it exactly in half then traced that half on a new piece of wood, flipped it over and traced the other side. When I cut out the deck I used a jigsaw and set the blade at an angle so the edges would fit the contour of the boat.

The hatches I got at Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Tempress-White-Hatch-without-23-25/dp/B00144CTWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336565812&sr=8-1

The PVC Board I got at Home Depot.

As for sealing the wood... I really went overboard and did 2 coats of West Systems Epoxy :)

shmelty said:
For the curved deck up front i kind of lucked out. The old desk was completely rotten on the left side but the right side was in okay shape. I measured the original and cut it exactly in half then traced that half on a new piece of wood, flipped it over and traced the other side. When I cut out the deck I used a jigsaw and set the blade at an angle so the edges would fit the contour of the boat.

The hatches I got at Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Tempress-White-Hatch-without-23-25/dp/B00144CTWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336565812&sr=8-1

The PVC Board I got at Home Depot.

As for sealing the wood... I really went overboard and did 2 coats of West Systems Epoxy :)

What size are the hatches?
Again,
Thanks

Sorry I have been neglecting this thread :( The boat project got put on hold last winter. I am going to hit it hard this winter so she is done for the spring. It still needs carpet, seats, bilge, aerator, water pump for the engine, carb rebuild, trolling motor and fish/depth finder and a bimini top. If you have any questions pm me or post here. I will respond as soon as possible!

Best Regards,

Sean

I know it has been a long time but I am finally making some progress! :D

Attachments

• 311071_4931657290072_2095700967_n.jpg
    311071_4931657290072_2095700967_n.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,101
  • 575341_4937538477098_313275128_n.jpg
    575341_4937538477098_313275128_n.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,101
Looks great. I did a similar restore to the one you're doing. Like you, I found to do it right, it took a good bit of time. A lot more than most folks estimate.

Looking good. Is this motor a tiller style motor?
I need to get back on mine soon, Big deck is replaced, now I need to cut the front deck.

Got some more work done this weekend! The console is in along with the new trolling motor, bilge pump, aerator, etc....

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,058
My local shop had both the water pump and carb rebuild kit in stock so I lucked out! Changed out the water pump today. Also, disassembled the carburetor and have that soaking in cleaner now. Should be on the water soon!

Update:
Motor has been installed and it runs! ;)
Starting Battery
Trolling Battery installed into a Minn Kota Power Station
Pro Mariner Pro Sport 12 Onboard Charger Installed
Humminbird 596c HD DI Fishfinder installed w/Ram Mount

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 1,026
Well....The engine is finally tuned up and running great! We acid washed the hull (below the stickers) and shines like it was 1987 again! Ready for the first trip to the lake this weekend!

Wish me luck! 8)

Latest posts