1990 Crestliner Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeltjen10

Reaction score
Hey all,

I started my Crestliner rebuild back in November and have been chipping away a little bit at a time. When I bought the boat 9 years ago it came with a few soft spots so I replaced a few sections with treated plywood and cheap carpet. The past couple years other areas of the floor began to get soft so I decided it was time to replace those as well. during this round of research I learned the treated plywood might be a problem with the aluminum. So I went to work removing the floor to see what I'd find. After tearing out the floor I came up with some extra changes that I wanted to make

1. Replace all flooring with 3/4" Marine Grade Plywood covered with epoxy Resin
2. Replace all wood in the bow with 3/4" Marine Grade Plywood covered with epoxy Resin
3. Reconfigure the bow to accommodate the trolling motor batteries (moving from the transom to the bow for better weight balance) and maximize the storage. This will require that I have the bow seats replaced with new and removable seats so the bow can be a fishing platform or seating. This also requires that I replace the live well.
4. Since most of the vinyl panels are attached to the flooring I've decided to replace all side panels and the vinyl with 1/2" exterior grade plywood sealed with an oil based primer.
5. New pedestal seats have been purchased and will be installed. The pictures show 4 pedestal seats but up until October I only had 2 pedestal seats and 1 back to back seat.

After removing the flooring I found that most of the foam was in acceptable condition so I won't need to remove that.

Here are a few pictures of what it looked like before I started tearing it apart, the reconfigured bow, and a few progress pictures along the way including all of the wood being covered with Primer and the first pieces covered with epoxy resin.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMfaHGc9Rb81pB2IfYQoauUUd89WWoyxDNkshfeOeiHeEjFFBSDh-a4Y2zsANKtmA?key=REoxaTVNQ3JCeHplQkstX1FuczFZZTBjR3JSZ1hn

Does anyone have tips for folding carpet over the floor so the sides would be completely covered in the narrow space Roughly 1/2"-1" wide x 4" long.

You can see the notch I'm talking about in the attached picture

Attachments

• backfloor1-resize.jpg
    backfloor1-resize.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 866
are you talking about the gap with the red arrow ?
gap.jpg
if you have a full 1" gap, you can cut down the middle of the gap
and fold down and glue in place.
if less than 1", cut small strips and glue it to the edges of the plywood first.
then after you have the full carpet installed, cut out the piece required and
do some creative trimming and it will be hardly noticible.
- or - paint the wood the same color as the carpet just for cosmetics.
- or - cut your notch bigger to accommodate the full fold over.
several ways to approach this issue

Thanks for the tips!

That arrow was the notch i was talking about.

I think gluing the small strips will work out well, especially since this will be hidden in the transom area.

After a couple weeks of off and on work I've finished the stern portion of the boat floor carpeting.

I went through and sealed all of the floors in the stern of the boat with 2 coats of epoxy on each side. Then I glued down the carpet making sure the top was smooth. Followed by flipping the floor pieces over and gluing down the edges but I did use a few staples to hold it in place. The carpet was time intensive but I found that just a light coating of glue was enough to hold it Using clamps with 2x4's along the edges to hold it tight was really effective. I would highly recommend is making sure you have enough clamps so you can do several pieces at a time easily and you aren't trying to just make it work

Now that everything is sized into place I can trim down the hatch and bow floor as it looks like I need to sand down between 1/8" and 1/4" to allow room for the carpet between the floor boards before I seal and carpet.

As for the notch i came here asking about, I simply cut down the middle of the notch, put some glue on the back of the carpet and fit it into place making sure the carpet was pushed down and against the sides of the floor board hoping it will glue right to it.

Only a few weeks left until the water is open around here!

Attachments

• 20170306_211029.jpg
    20170306_211029.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 725