1999 Mercury 2stroke jet kit? Or a new project?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put a 40hp paint job on it for me! FWC (Florida Fish and Wildlife Comission) are Nazi's about their laws! I won't be ready (the wife wont let me) to buy till around Christmas this year. I will more than likely be coming to MO to get it

I've already got that problem solved. It's a legal 60/40 now and it will will get the matching 40hp paintjob. I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet. Might try to buld it and put it on my boat or put it back to stock and sell it. I'm itching to put a set of .040 over pistons and port it. :mrgreen:
Does the alweld your looking at have a stright rake or is it a raised rake boat like Moelkhunter exterminater. If your putting a trolling motor and a seat on the front you might look at one of those. They seem like they troll around alot easier then a straight rake boat.

Reedjj, if that is the type of layout you are looking for, you may want to look at James River Jets. He will build you a custom boat to any layout you want and any hull configuration you want. He is a good guy to deal with and his leadtimes aren't too bad for a custom boat. He is in Virginia, but builds boat for people all over the east coast. I also believe his price for a custom boat will be less than the cost of the G3 you posted.

Scott

reedjj said:
There are no jets anywhere around here. Even the guys at the big marinas look at me like I'm crazy when I ask them about them. They always think I'm talking about a seadoo or Yamaha jet boat. I would have to drive to MO to buy one off craigslist. Lol.

I will never find a used one around here. I have been keeping an eye on the current river marine website along with troutt and sons.

Go on ebay and search for outboard1. They are a big motor remanufacturing company. Pretty often they will have a jet motor on their page. Most of them are a 2 cyl 40-55hp with a jet. just an option for you.

I looked at the James River Jets website and sent Mr Starkey an e-mail explaining what I was looking for and what I plan on using it for. I asked him what his reccommendations were for my area/conditions and what Im going to be using it for. It looks like thier boats are very similar in construction and set up to the Snyder jet boats. They offer the UHMW and some really thick strong alum builds.

I have no need for UHMW as there is NO rocks around here. Just a good sturdy boat that can run shallow.
Im going to call Current River Marine or send them an e-mail tomorrrow.

I was telling a guy at work today what I was up to...... His only comment was " Your crazy why do you want to get back up in there"? LOL.... He has a glass 24ft Center console saltwater boat with 250 verado and a changing room and marine toilet in the center console. He and fishes for Reds and whatever else you catch off shore. I told him he would find out why when I take him bowfishing for Gar, flounder and alligator hunting.

I appreciate everyones suggestions.

One boat you can check out that is very similar atleast looking to blazer's and legends but that's all i know about to do some investigating but they are excel boats. west boat shop in winona, mo sells them. search west boat shop on google and you should be able to find them. Also if you call for fred at current river marine and he doesen't act like he has 5 seconds to talk, that's just how he always is, got a lot on his plate, kind of guy that needs 36 hours a day instead of 24 but he is a really good guy to deal with. just tryin to help.

Jim at JRJ is a good guy. It may take him a few days to get back to you if you emailed him, but if you call, he will talk to you right away. When I had my boat built it was between him and Snyder and I went with Snyder. Much different wait time on the JRJ too. He will build you whatever you want.

Scott

My wallet has a HP limit though. LOL! I also need to keep the boat kinda small 1652 is the biggest I can go. The 1552,1648,1652 are all in my sights.

I am really liking the idea of the 50-55 hp OMC with a jet unit.

I was on another thread and posted a couple pics of the riveted Alumacraft 1648 NCS (no center seat). It can take up to a 35hp motor. Maybe I can just save some money and get the riveted boat and save the money for a new Tohatsu 50/35jet.

I don't need a super tough boat with UHMW or anything, I just need it to run shallw. submerged logs and soft sand/mud bottoms are all I have to worry about. I think the riveted Alumacraft would be plenty tough for my needs. I have been very impressed with my little 1542 riveted jon so far.

But then again your blazers/legends/alwelds/snyders..... are so friggin cool!

riverracer said:
You do know that alweld and blazer makes commerical boats dont you ? they dont have a hp limit on them !!!!!
Every Blazer I've ever looked at has a yellow coast guard approved tag that has the max capaciety and hp rating on it. I own one and my dad has owned two. They have a max hp rating. It doesn't mean I went by mine but it's there.

Welded boats are worth it in my opnion. I think you will be happier with the performance of the OMC over the Tohatsu. It sound like a .80 gauge Blazer or legend craft would be about right for your needs. It would be pretty tuff and it would be alot lighter and probably be cheaper then a snyder or something like that.

I actually have a jet pump for a Yamaha 40/50 hp 2-stroke on ebay right now. Fits short shafts from '83-'94. Not sure if you want to deal with piecing motors and pumps together right now but just a thought. It's on there for $620 but I'd sell it for less to a fellow river sled enthusiast in need. I would use it myself but I cant find a 50 hp short shaft Yamaha for a reasonable price. 40s are much easier to come by though.

Those Blazers are just so awesome looking. I would love to have one. People would freak out around here if they saw something like that flying down the creek.

Im going to be keeping my eyes and ears open. Im gonna be checkin the MO Craigslists and check with Current river and Troutt and sons every other week or so for a deal. When the time is right I'll pull the trigger!

Thanks guys for your advice.

Maybe I'll make it up there for the polar bear run next year...

fatherfire89 said:
I actually have a jet pump for a Yamaha 40/50 hp 2-stroke on ebay right now. Fits short shafts from '83-'94. Not sure if you want to deal with piecing motors and pumps together right now but just a thought. It's on there for $620 but I'd sell it for less to a fellow river sled enthusiast in need. I would use it myself but I cant find a 50 hp short shaft Yamaha for a reasonable price. 40s are much easier to come by though.

I'm pretty sure the 40hp and 50hp yamaha's are the same motor. Their carbs are diffrent but that would be an easy fix.

So, now that the 1542 Alumacraft is done, the search for another project boat continues..I got the ok from the wife to to get a project hull "as long as its cheap". LOL...... When I find one I will be back on the jet forum.

I put the swamp sled on CL this afternoon and got a couple calls already. I guy sounds serious and is "supposed to come take a look tomorrow afternoon". Im askin $3,000. but I'll take $2,600. I will be puttin that down on some sort of jet driven boat.

Latest posts