20' Lowe Olympic Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the hull wire brushed and started with the 3M 5200 today. I feel like this boat is 30' instead of 20.
DSC00123s.jpg

I will get on the sides tomorrow. :)
DSC00122s.jpg

I seen a boat just like this one at the lake today.It is long and nice.The man had a 40 Mercury tiller onit

Very close Reed,
52" width over all,
50" to frame knees.

It has a side depth of 20" (22" flare)
Transom height is 20"

75" beam and LOA is 20'
specs say 375 lbs, not verified but seems reasonable.
Jerry

thanks for the stats on your beetle...

Just noticed you were from Hudson... I used to live right down 19 from you in New Port Richey right off SR 52 / 19... I moved back to PA in 2007

Man i miss being down there!

Good luck with everything!

A little more progress today, got two coats of metal primer on it.
DSC00125s.jpg

Tomorrow, I'll get started with the bottom paint then it will be time to turn it back over. :)
DSC00124s.jpg

Workinonit.....man, you guys are tough :)
Got most of the bottom painted up to the gun'ls
DSC00126.jpg

As soon an this dries, I will turn it back over and get on with some serious stuff.
DSC00127.jpg

It has taken much longer than I expected to get to this point, but I resisted cutting corners.
DSC00128.jpg

Plenty of length for a few Tin Boat Decals
DSC00129.jpg

Never try to tape an edge that has been welded, ya just can't get it sharp.
DSC00130.jpg

Try to tape on one side of a welded seam or the other, where it is flatter.....duh
Gun'ls will be white as the bottom.

HSTinn, it will have a full size Center Console with a tower over it. Leaning post behind the console with a bait well.
Full deck from the front, back to the bait well (near the center fore and aft).
Small 4X4 foot well with a 4' wide seat at deck height behind that. Decked from the seat back to the transom.
DP deck height will be 2" below the rail, front to back if I can afford it.
(at 20" deep, that should be plenty for storage, fuel, batteries, etc.)....That's the plan :)

oh nice! like that color...

looks good... and no, you can't get a straight line on a weld, I have quite a few spots like that

but you know what, it'll most likely not be noticed by anyone else!

Jonboat Jerry said:
Happy 4th everyone
Yesterday I built an "A Frame" to turn the boat over so I can pressure wash, repair, and paint the bottom. It was a struggle!
But done!
DSC00113s.jpg

DSC00112s.jpg

MMF I have almost all of those nasty Galv bolts replaced now, 6 to go and all done.
Today is pressure wash day....Jerry

good going ol boy, that boat is looking good, keep up the work, just take your time

Nice find Reed, this is a very clever and lightweight solution for a "T" top.
What I have in mind is bigger and "all aluminum" similar to the Southport 26.
https://www.saltwatersportsman.com/boats/boat-reviews/southport-26-center-console-0
Smaller than the one on the 26 (around 4X4, 6' high) and without the T top since I have a Bimini already.
I want to be able to flats fish or go near shore if I want to.
The Devil's in the details as they say. :)

A little progess, got her flipped back over yesterday.
Me and Mr Wire Brush were very busy, after 3 hrs of work she is ready for metal primer on the inside.
Next is get the console fab'd up, the motor in the shop, and get it rigged.

After wire brushing and vacuuming, I noticed that there were a lot of dead leaves stuck in the
ribs, so out came the air compressor! I must have blown a bushel basket full out of all the nooks
and crannies. After a final cleaning, I got started with the metal primer and a small diameter roller.
I was able to work the roller in the space between the ribs and the bottom. Here are a few pics.

DSC00142.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00138.jpg