20' Lowe Olympic Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonboat Jerry

Reaction score
First, Thanks for hosting a great website! Lots of great ideas here.
I acquired a 78 20' Olympic Jon Boat built by Lowe Industries and a '83 50Hp Evenrude last week. The boat was in pretty good shape, the motor is a ?. I need a rugged shallow water boat for the flats north of here called "The Devils Rock Pile".
There is some twist in the hull, don't know what to do about it yet.
Plans are to clean it, strip in , paint it, and put a center console on it, and fish it. There is a lot of work from here to there.
Here are a few pics and a link to Photobucket for the whole album.

https://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg261/JerrySweet/Da%20Boat/

DSC00087.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

Will do Boatwright, I was org. looking for a 24, glad I didn't find it, this is big enough.
Well, I grabbed the pressure washer this afternoon and scrubbed, blasted, bailed, & blasted some more.
About 2 1/2 hrs later she was pretty clean., all the loose paint and dirt was gone. No surprises, but the twist
was still there. Might even be a good name for her....TWISTED.

DSC00090.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00095.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

Jerry

Don't you just really hate it when the previous owner put a galvanized fastener in a boat? What were they thinking?...........................nice boat!

Man -O -Man, That is awesome! Huge boat. It looks pretty straight in the pics. Of course pics can be decieving. maybe once you put a floor in it, and get it on a trailer so that the hull is supported better by the bunks it will level out some. A riveted boat that big is bound to flex a little. those old Lowes are tough boats. huge ribs on those things.

www.akmccallum.com has a lot of consoles and accessories for jons. I use them for measurements and to get a few ideas when pricing stuff.

be sure to keep us posted.

Thanks guys, and those galvanized bolts are on my hot list! I can't believe I picked all this up for $700 clams.
Didn't get a trailer, got a 10,000lb boat lift in the back and live on a canal....that's why it is on furniture dollies for now.
Thanks for the link REEDJJ. the console I had in mind is pretty big. Plenty of room for lots of toys.
I just hope the motor checks out ......Jerry

If your looking for storage I would extend that front deck back just past the 2nd exposed rib. You could install hatches to put stuff under the floor. As it stands the existing front deck looks too small to really use it for anything other than sitting or as a step to get in and out. You would solve 2 problems at once.

1. Have a bigger useable deck that you could have a pedestal seat and trolling motor mounted to.

2. increase your storage area to hide all that gear. Maybe mount your trolling motor battery under there.

You could mount your cranking battery under the center console. And put twin 6 gallon tanks behind the rear bench. One each outboard of the 2 transom supports, with a bilge pump in the center.

What are your plans for the floor? Closed cell foam? Wood, aluminum, carpet, non-skid?

All good ideas Reedjj,
1. The front deck definitely needs to be expanded with stowage for an Anchor, etc. Also, the pitch is too steep
to mount a trolling motor so that will have to be worked out as well.
2. I want the batteries up front for weight distribution and a cranking/bilge pump battery in the center console.
3. The transom is a great area for the fuel tanks and bilge pump with a live well built into the rear seat.
4. Large center console with a reversible leaning post.
5. The floor will be aluminum with nonskid if I can afford it.

wow... i didn't even know they made jon boats that long

what a great, big canvas to work with!

good luck, I can't wait to see what you come up with

If I had that boat, I'd do something like the link below maybe in a center console version. I think I'd make both the front and rear decks bigger for nice fishing platforms. After all, you have a whole 20ft feet to work with.

This is still one of my favorite builds here.
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11915

Nice find! If you decide to ever part ways with that 50hp..... let me know, I'm about 3 hours from you on the other Florida Coast! Can't wait to see the outcome of this build :shock: !

Happy 4th everyone
Yesterday I built an "A Frame" to turn the boat over so I can pressure wash, repair, and paint the bottom. It was a struggle!
But done!
DSC00113s.jpg

DSC00112s.jpg

MMF I have almost all of those nasty Galv bolts replaced now, 6 to go and all done.
Today is pressure wash day....Jerry

verry nice. Keep the pics coming. Cant wait to see what you do with this blank canvas.

Ok, back to the driveway and pressure washing...it was so hot and the spray felt great!
I can't over emphasize how important is is to clean your project before priming or painting.
I thought the boat was pretty clean but I was wrong. Pressure washing even gets rid of
that oxidized paint...just take your time.
DSC00115s.jpg

DSC00114s.jpg

From the crimp marks on each side near the transom, it looks like someone tried to pick it up
with a sling when it was loaded but no leaks. :D

Them crimp marks...is it possible that someone tried to hook the hull abit,on purpose?
Some people do it,to stop a boat from porpoising.
Your doing a nice job on your rig.

Latest posts