2000 Evinrude 150 Ficht ram injection

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJackson

Reaction score
I am looking at a boat that has this motor. I have been reading about it. It seems like the "99 and earlier had problems. 2000 model maybe OK. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with it?

There are a bunch of them out there running just fine. What may be a roadblock though is the lack of dealer support now and the parts for them are not as plentiful as they once were. These reasons would make me think twice. I think an injector now is over $1000 . Each one has to be installed by a dealer with factory software as the injector has to learn the fuel curves for that particular engine.

To add to what Pappy said, beware that the model year 2000 FFI is a “one of motor”, just like the 1999 year version … nothing is compatible in the power head. If you need any parts, they will be very difficult if not impossible to find.

That said, five years ago I bought a boat with a ‘98 vintage 175hp, which was supposed to be THE model which blew up the most. I bought the boat, motor and trailer for < $5000 and the boat was taken apart at the shoebox joint, with all wood removed and it was completely refurbished with an all new transom and dyvynicell frp/foam honeycomb floor and stringers. I didn’t buy the boat for the motor … but here it is still running today … zero issues. Prop them to the HIGH end of the RPM range and run them like you stole them … do not idle them long or troll with them!

If you are looking at a 2000 model, check to make sure it has the updated, "pinned" heads. It literally has a pin next to the spark plug to help distribute the fuel from the injector. If it does NOT have pinned heads, I would buy it for the cost of the boat alone.

This sounds harsh, but I have run a lot of Ficht motors. A good one can be great, but a bad one will be a nightmare. Chet, at DFI will be your best friend. I am currently running a 2001 Ficht 150 HP without issues. I just took it out for a spring shakedown today, after several months of sitting and she ran great, as usual. I plan to take her to the bay for some striper fishing next week.

Here is me running some gas through her a while back, after sitting for months:

Here is when I first put her on the Offshore and was testing it out:

I have a 2nd complete parts motor, as parts have become CRAZY expensive. If I didn't have that motor, I might not fix if something went wrong, I would just slap on one of the other motors I have around. Probably not something most people can or want to do.

Latest posts