2002 1436 Alumacraft and floatation pods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told that my pods have approximately 118lbs of buoyancy. I assume that's in fresh water. But that is getting somewhat off subject.

I am going out to purchase the nuts-bolts-washers to mount the pods in the AM. I already have the 3M 5200. I'm still hesitant to cut the holes in the pods, but I already purchased the watertight service hatches. So I'm pretty much at the point of no return now. I'll take pics of the installation as it proceeds. Will a jig saw with a metal blade be good enough to cut the 6" round holes in the pods? I have never used a jig saw on aluminum. Also will I need to oil the cut as I go? If so, will WD-40 suffice? Or do I need a more viscus oil of some kind?

Not sure. My experience with jig saws is that they can be very bad for chattering and jumping on thin metal, as well as wandering off line. Hard to cut a perfectly round hole. Use the finest tooth blade you can find. I'd be more inclined to spend the money for a 6" hole saw.

I am glad I measured the hatches before cutting. The package says 6" hatches and the instructions say to cut a 6" hole. But when I measured the sleeve that fits through the hole, I found that I need a 6 5/8" to 7" hole for these to be mounted properly. Good luck for me though. My neighbor is lending me a 6 5/8" hole saw. The 8 bolt mounting holes on each hatch base are situated 7 1/2" off center or 7/8" from the edge of the big hole.

It's the pendulum of fate my friend.... The current swing, at this brief moment in time, the luck side of the weight is facing me.... And I'm taking full advantage of it for as long as it lasts.

I build string musical instruments of all types as a hobby with an emphasis on whatever catches my eye at the moment. I get inspired by typing a Bing search of Pictures weird stringed instrument. My family history is important to me. I have traced my family back 30 generations and they lived in almost that many regions. So I build an instrument from each state or country I can trace in my direct Ancestry and if I can get it, I incorporate wood which was grown in each instruments home country or state. Although it could be as small as an inlay or as the primary wood in the project. I have a cousin in Germany that helps me find wood from the European, Baltic States, and GB. While I follow the wood on this side of the pond. Then I dedicate the instrument to the ancestor\s that lived in that region. This collection will be handed down for hopefully many generations.

**** I ramble on some times. Sorry....

Getting back to the point. I learned early on in building instruments by hand.
Rule #1 Measure
Rule #2 Measure again
Rule #3 Measure once more
If your not 100% sure, see rule one - three.

Tone Wood and shipping is not cheap since COVID and neither are these pods. But I am!
Wasting money on either is not an option with my way to small retirement pittance and with prices going up on everything.

I don't have the patience or skills for a hobby like that, but I can sure see the fascination. I'd be interested in a few pictures.

A friend's wife years ago had a Hammered Dulcimer (think that's right) and it was a neat sounding instrument. Unique appearance, too.

My way of doing what you say with measuring is to measure twice, measure a couple more times, cut carefully and precisely......then trim to fit....if it's not already too small.

I feel your pain. I retired in 2008; ran out of savings in 2012 and have lived entirely on SS ever since. They are not generous, even tho' I paid into it for over 50 years. Maybe I should change my name to Sanchez or Gomez ??

That is awesome. I just sold in a friend's garage sale my copy of Guitarmaking Tradition and Technology by Cumpiano along with a binder full of info from Luthiers Mercantile International. I never intended to build one. I just wanted to understand how they are built. I found the whole process, including wood selection, fascinating.

If it's ok with the moderators, I'd love to show off examples of my other passion.

I never used books or templates. One day I thought to myself.... I'd like to build something I could play music on.... That was in the early 1980s.... I have been building instruments ever since. I was also in a band for a short while called Chickens in sweat pants. We were a Country, Head Banging, Blues, Bluegrass, 60s-70s-80s Rock, Hair, Studio, and Stage Band LOL!!! Yep everything from Chet Atkins to ZZ Top. We never amounted to much but we always had a great time. I diddle with most stringed instruments but my favorite acoustic instruments are my Fender Dobro style resonator guitar and Dean Acoustic Bass. As far as electric favorites include my Fender Stratocaster, Telecaster, Ibanez 6 string Bass & a home made double neck steel guitar. I have around 40 instruments and most are the ones I built in my little shop out back and I play them sitting in my gazebo with pre recorded backing tracks and an Ice cold long neck bottle of Lone Star Beer or two while thinking about getting my boat ready for some prime fall time fishing..

Per request and in the absence of denial by Moderators, Here are some examples of instruments I have created.

Console grand steel guitar
20210109-215830-1223.jpg

Psalmodicon
e.jpg

Mandolins
f.jpg

Lap steel guitars
g.jpg

Tenor & Soprano ukuleles
h.jpg

Console steel guitar & Homemade Busking Amp
20181129-105244.jpg

Fretless Fireside Banjo
b.jpg

Dulcimer
d.jpg

Sorry for not being online much lately but I am currently recovering from medical issues.

Thanks for sharing some pics of your Luthier skills (I don't get to use that word in a sentence often). If you scroll down through the different TinBoat forum topics there is one for Hobbies. I think it is great to share this no matter which forum.

I would set them so the underside is at least an inch above the bottom Speed Test plane of the boat so they're not creating drag when you're full out on the motor.

Last edited:

Latest posts