2003 Johnson/Suski 4 Stroke 15 Hp w/ Steering (Reverse Locking)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rewtiger

Reaction score
i have this motor on my 1994 Sea Nymph 17.5' Bass Boat, and it runs great, always had the issue of the motor kicking out when in reverse if i give it too much gas. there is this tab that you can flip to lock the bar in to keep it from doing that, but asking if this is a manual thing i have to remember to do, or is something to be hooked up from the controls at the seating area? Can't seem to find anything on this on the web or any manuals. if anyone might know, that would be awesome.KIMG2634.JPG

Attachments

• KIMG2631.JPG
    KIMG2631.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 0
I can't speak for that motor specifically. But some do have a linkage that engages the lock when the gearbox is shifted into reverse. If it doesn't have anything like that, it's supposed to be engaged manually.

I can't speak for that motor specifically. But some do have a linkage that engages the lock when the gearbox is shifted into reverse. If it doesn't have anything like that, it's supposed to be engaged manually.
thanks, i actually think its manual only

An you lock it and just unlock to tilt when needed?

That’s how my motors are setup IIRC.
asking for when motor is down, and ready to say back off trailer or in water. in the run mode, seems like i just have to go back and lock the switch in for reverse so motor does not lift, then put back for forward. just a pain, no biggie.

I’ve never come across a motor where you need to manually activate the reverse lock before reversing.

Having it engage when you put the motor in reverse… yes.

I could be wrong, but maybe your misinterpreting the proper function of this lever?

I’ve never come across a motor where you need to manually activate the reverse lock before reversing.
... it could have been a tiller motor converted to cable steering and controls ...

My Nissan eStart 'control' model automatically engages the reverse lock when shifted into reverse. To the OP, that is the question I'd ask your motor Dealer.

Having it engage when you put the motor in reverse… yes.

I could be wrong, but maybe your misinterpreting the proper function of this lever?
as far as i can see there is nothing that is missing that would connect to throttle at steering area. if you look up underneath, its hard rods that connect to that thumb knob i have clouded in red. you push or pull it and it makes the mechanism close on the rodd to keep it from flipping up while in reverse.

... it could have been a tiller motor converted to cable steering and controls ...

My Nissan eStart 'control' model automatically engages the reverse lock when shifted into reverse. To the OP, that is the question I'd ask your motor Dealer.
was thinking about asking my local boat dealer. it was bought from them and on a pontoon boat, then sold at another boat place about 45 mins away, and it was taken off, but when i bought it, it had the cables. so thinking not, just might be that model function, thanks

I should have said:

Having it engage when you put the controls in reverse… yes.

Pretty sure my omc motors stay locked unless you hit something, and the lever needs flipped to manually lift the motor.

I should have said:

Pretty sure my omc motors stay locked unless you hit something, and the lever needs flipped to manually lift the motor.

Same on the 25hp Johnson I used to have. It was fully manual.

I had a 9.8 Merc before that which had a reverse lock gismo that was supposed to lock the motor when you put it in reverse, but I was never able to get it working properly for long.

I should have said:

yep, found out from local boat place, that lever has to be flipped to unlock and lock , thanks

Latest posts