2004 50hp tohatsu 2 stroke UPDATE!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriecrappie33

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but I am going to be re powering my 16ft v hull "starcraft no clue what model" with a 2004 50hp tohatsu, can I expect to see much better performance compared to my 1990 60hp mariner? I bought the new motor based on reliability compared to the mariner that I hated and drove me nuts... but just wondered about performance differences with a 15 year newer motor? The mariner was a kind of low compression on one cylinder like 112psi? Does anyone have a similar rig? Thanks guys

Ran the motor yesterday and man does that thing get up and go, I was easily getting 30mph were I was getting max 28mph with the mariner. My prop is a 10 pitch right now but I have a 12 pitch on order so I should be well above 30mph when I switch them out. I've owned 2 mariners now I really believe they just dog it as for power and speed..

I would say you won't see better performance or negligible other than reliability.

Lol, 12 psi one cylinder....not the motors fault it was a dog. If it was in good order(60hp Mariner), it probably would have out performed the newer Tohatsu 50hp.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I for sure wouldn’t change props unless you know your RPMs are too low! Don’t
chase a WOT speed ... make darn sure you have the RIGHT prop! With typical gear carried, you & 1/3rd or less fuel, go for being NO MORE THAN 200 RPMs off the rated maximum.

Good advice given, you go chasing WO speed and you will slide downhill quick.

And as a side note, healthy Mariners in the size you mentioned usually perform as well or better than just about any brands out there if they are maintained well and propped correctly.

Thanks for the replies and advice, the 12 pitch prop was suggested and ordered from the dealer that installed the motor. As for the mariner I took excellent care of both of them maybe I had too high of expectations. Love the tohatsu though, always hear great things about them.

eriecrappie33 said:
Thanks for the replies and advice, the 12 pitch prop was suggested and ordered from the dealer that installed the motor.
I'd put your rig through this: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37433

I tried the wizard but my boat is older than 79 and I can't seem to find my 2004 50 tohatsu either..... this is a pic of it. I don't have a tach but I'm sure I could get one.

Attachments

• 20180608_083405.jpg
    20180608_083405.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,964