2014 Mercury 4 stroke 20hp to 25hp upgrade

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sieben

Reaction score
Hi there,

I did some searching. I have a 2014 2014 Mercury 4 stroke 20hp and want to increase the power to 25hp upgrade. I see that this has been done to earlier motors. However, I cannot find information on if a carburetor swap from a 25 HP Mercury 4 stroke of a similar year with some timing adjustments would yield the 25 HP output. Do any of you motor experts have any input and or guideance for me. The application is a 10' 10" motor yacht dinghy. The 20hp with remote steering is a bit under powered for my application. Thanks in advance.

John

Hi there. I see that this question has been viewed 38 times. Is this not the place to ask a Motor question. Please advise if I should post it somewhere else. Thanks, John

You'll be best to review PARTS LISTS and see what parts are different, including any power pack or such, besides carb parts, jets, throttle bodies, or whatevah.

Oh, and that Merc isn't a Merc, as all Merc OBs 30hp and under are made by Tohatsu.

You'll be best to review PARTS LISTS and see what parts are different, including any power pack or such, besides carb parts, jets, throttle bodies, or whatevah.

Oh, and that Merc isn't a Merc, as all Merc OBs 30hp and under are made by Tohatsu.
DaleH thanks for that tip. I’ll start there.

I found the difference. The 25 HP is 3 cylinders! Bore and stroke about the same. Hence the extra HP. I'm going to leave the 20HP alone.

Yeah.... Hard to add a cylinder!

Better to find a good deal on FB Marketplace or on Craigslist, and then sell yours for the same or often more.

The Merc, Tohatsu, Suzuki and possibly others tend to use the same powerhead for 9.9 to 20 hp. Merc parts prices are so high that upgrading hp may not make any sense.

Latest posts