2015 Alumacraft MV 1546 DD build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks, check PM for location

as far as the build goes, I dug this out of the shed over the weekend, hopefully the leftover 4'x4' sheet of 1/4" diamond plate from my last Alumacraft build will be enough material to fabricate a gunbox from, just need to order some aluminum angle & figure out the design:
img_numero_tres.jpg

Was curious myself...u in FL?...looks like a scene from around my area. Gun box...can't wait to see that...been considering that after I get my pods and grab bar in.

How did you run your wiring from the front back? I used 3/4" pvc in between drop deck and back bench in the channel on the side wall. Fit perfect in the hole in the drop deck and I notched it to slide into small opening in the bench. I found caps/plugs on the side wall in the battery area and was able to punch through the foam to the opening at the front of bench and was able to feed wires through...worked great. Cut a small length of pvc to go through foam. Got running lights installed and cleats. Planning on putting in battery switch, bilge and switch panel this weekend. Oh, wanted to ask how u mounted the bilge pump as well.

Thanks

dwbiggs said:
How did you run your wiring from the front back?
I ran 16ga tinned marine duplex wire inside the side rail tubing with a fish tape. Had to drill a 1/2" hole which I then plugged with a 3/4" rubber stopper plug from the hardware aisle @ Home Depot:
side.jpg

side2.jpg

side3.jpg

dwbiggs said:
wanted to ask how u mounted the bilge pump as well.
silicone. i put the gas tank on top it for a couple hours to dry. I sanded the metal & cleaned it first too.

dwbiggs said:
I used 3/4" pvc in between drop deck and back bench in the channel on the side wall. Fit perfect in the hole in the drop deck and I notched it to slide into small opening in the bench. I found caps/plugs on the side wall in the battery area and was able to punch through the foam to the opening at the front of bench and was able to feed wires through...worked great. Cut a small length of pvc to go through foam. Got running lights installed and cleats. Planning on putting in battery switch, bilge and switch panel this weekend.
I almost tried to figure out how to run them using that same channel in the side like on my last build. Your install sounds nice & clean. I didn't know there more plugs under the back deck, thanks for sharing!! I'll probably make use of this knowledge if/when I run interior lights. show us some pictures

ordered seadek samples, $4 to my door a day later:
image.jpg

same price for one or all colors, so I grabbed a few:
image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

a little concerned with the durability after the pocket knife test, hmm:
image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

image_6.jpg

Interesting about the seadek...they r about 5 miles from me...was going to check them out. Pretty clean going through the side rail...I ran lines for nav lights and two future LED lights. I'll take a couple pics of what I did.

Have you considered anything like this for your floor/deck? Not sure if you want to paint or not, but if so this stuff is really nice.

https://www.softsandrubber.com/aspergrit.html

That is what I used on mine and I love it!! It has held up great to a full season of duck/goose hunting and fishing all summer. Easy to apply also. Just sprinkle it on in between coats of the paint of your choice. I used Parkers duck boat paint in sand tan as my base color on my boat.

how's the heat on that stuff Terp? the tan painted aluminum will just about cook bacon! Also, did you mix it in the paint first? or did you paint & sprinkle?

the largest seadek sheet is only 39"x77" according to their website at least...), which is fine for length on my 67" long cockpit floor, but it's not wide enough! the floor was 48" wide if memory serves. i reckon this means my only option is to install the gunbox first so my floor shrinks to 39" or have ugly seams or some silly looking design with gaps in it...

i'm guessing it will take about $300 worth of seadek to cover the floor, the rear deck, and the front deck of my 1546...

Heat seems fine. I fished off my boat in bare feet for most of the summer. It was definitely cooler than the factory paint/aluminum. Not sure if it's from the lighter paint color or AsperGrit or combination of both.

I sprinkled mine on. I bought the quart sifter bottle and used about half to do my floor and bow deck. This is on a 1648. I was looking at something similar to SeaDek, but was concerned about durability and ease of cleanup. My floor/deck is easy to clean. If I get some fish or duck blood on it I'm not afraid to take a stiff bristled push broom to it and scrub it off. It's comfortable on bare feet, but I have skun up my knuckles on it unplugging my trolling motor.

10-4, when I picked up some dog food today, I found some EVA foam mats with a diamond plate pattern on 'em at Tractory Supply for $20 & they're big enough to cover my floor in 1 piece at 46"x93", so $40 would do the whole boat. too bad they're black though...not sure how they'd like sun either....and no glue comes on 'em so I'd have to buy that or just use the black silicone caulk tube leftovers maybe

seadek doesn't stain from mud/blood & a stiff bristle brush wouldn't hurt it either, the only downside I can see is the cost & the durability against something like oysters or anchors...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/351149772920?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This is what I got ahold of for my boat floor. When they arrived I put a couple of the mats out in the sun to see just how they would do. After 2 or 3 hours I went walking on them bare foot with no problems at all. I expected them to be hot but they were only warm. The same two mats, since then has been serving mat duty on my front door step (about a month now) and have held up pretty darn good. You get 12 2x2' mats for 48 square feet. And Shipping is FREE.

Edit: $37.99 for the 12 tile set.

Attachments

• DiamondPlateMat.jpg
    DiamondPlateMat.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2,999
chevyrulz said:
thanks I see it comes in tan as well
Right. As I discovered after I had already paid for them, they actually come in several different colors. I would have much rather have the tan ones for the boat floor. And now that I think about it I just may go ahead and order the tan ones and use the black ones in my Portable Garage. :)

just ordered 24 sq ft of the tan color 3/8" thick 2'x2' gym floor puzzle piece squares for $20 shipped on ebay. should do perfectly for my 23 sq ft cockpit floor:

floor.jpg

floor1.jpg

floor2.jpg

I bought a 4x6 rubber mat from home depot. Looks well made and cost 31.00...figured its worth a try. Just a little over 3/8" thick.

Attachments

• 52afb48d-b21c-470e-9401-7998d1f2c642_300.jpg
    52afb48d-b21c-470e-9401-7998d1f2c642_300.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 2,922
Nice, you gonna glue it down? I'm hoping I won't have to glue mine, but I suspect it might not stay in the boat going 70mph on the highway if I don't...

I'm also thinking about getting some golf bag tubes & drilling holes in the low deck for rod storage

chevyrulz said:
just ordered 24 sq ft of the tan color 3/8" thick 2'x2' gym floor puzzle piece squares for $20 shipped on ebay. should do perfectly for my 23 sq ft cockpit floor:
Right on. I think it will work out pretty good on them floors.

Enjoyed reading this thread as I've been think about purchasing a new jon boat. I've been debating whether or not to get a Alumacraft MV1448 or MV1648 riveted jon. Now that I've seen this thread I think I have changed my mind.

Really surprised that considering the 1546 is an all welded boat its not much heavier then a riveted jon. Figure by the time I put some plywood flooring in the 1448 it would be just as heavy if not more then the 1546.

Unfortunately, my lake is horsepower restricted. How do you think a 9.9hp would perform on the 1546?