2017 Yamaha F25....is it NMEA compatible?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to see/view engine hours (history) since new, rpms, and water temps/ oil pressure. I'd like to see this engine data on either a
Lowrance Elite Ti2 and/or a Garmin 93SV UHD or on a Yamaha Digital Gauge. Is this possible?

I read in a similar thread from last year that there is some ability to show data via a Yamaha 6Y8 gauge but didn't see an answer to NMEA compatibility and what exact data it can provide (if it does provide NMEA data).

Questions about my motor....

1. What type of engine data is this year/model/hp motor able to provide?

2. Is it NMEA compatible (info not found in my owner's manual)?

3. Does the Yamaha 6Y8 gauge or NMEA data provide engine hours (for gauge: does it start at 0 when gauge is installed or will it read total engine hours), and (for NMEA data) does it show total engine hours and history or RPMs with total engine hours, since motor was first operated?

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with Yamaha but I do with Mercury and the Smartcraft system. I know Mercury has motors that are compatible beginning in the year 2000. They also only support 40 horse and above and the smaller the motor the less data that is displayed. That being said I would assume that Yamaha has something comparable. I would think that a 25 would be too small but the 90 should definitely be supported for something comparable to a Smartcraft system. I don't know if the display that is referenced is compatible with a NMEA system, it should tell you in the owners manual.

I've read that the 2017 F25 is Yamaha Command Link compatible (Command Link is similar to Mercs Smartcraft system). Would love to know if it that is correct....and if correct.....IF NMEA compatible, exactly what data it will provide?

Even better would be if the data (ex. RPM, engine hours, temps, etc.) can be displayed on the newer FF/GPS...ex. Lowrance Elite Ti2 and Garmin 93SV UHD...the two I am eyeballing now!! :mrgreen:

The FF should be NMEA compatible and the Yamaha Command Link system uses a hub that translates the engine data and displays it on compatible Garmin units. If you go to Garmin it should tell you which of their model FF are compatible with the Yamaha Command Link system. Yamaha's gateways allow certain engine and boat data to be displayed on NMEA-2000 compatible displays that are external to the Yamaha system. The Gateway is for installation with Command Link or Command Link Plus networks. Per Yamaha customer service the fuel injected F25's support readouts of RPMs, Engine hours, Voltage, and fuel consumption. fuel consumption was iffy and needed a onboard tank tied in. It was also stated those models don't have sensors to support live engine temp, oil pressure, or water pressure.

Contact wmk0002. He investigated this setup February of last year. He can tell you what he found out hopefully.

Thanks to all! I called Yamaha the past two days and they have a recording stating "in a staff meeting."

I'll try again tomorrow. I'll also reach out to wmk0002 and see what he knows.

BTW...

Here's what Lowrance emailed to me:

"If the Yamaha engine which is being connected to the NMEA 2000 network is not already connected to the Yamaha CommandLink system, then the Yamaha Engine Interface cable connects directly to the NMEA 2000 connector under the engine’s cowling. The display and the Yamaha Engine Interface both needs to be connected to the NMEA backbone to output engine data, such as RPM, Engine hours, Engine Temp, Fuel Pressure, and others."

I now need to know about connectors, what a NMEA backbone is, etc.

Lowrance sells this Yamaha cable and this cable is what caused me to contact Lowrance....

https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/type/accessories/sensor-networking-accessories/yamaha-engine-interface-cbl---rd/

For just rpm, hours, and voltage, standard gauges will be much more economical. The FF will have voltage.

Whichever FF you choose will have the cables and T connectors, etc. I looked up HB stuff and the prices added up quickly.

I have to figure out what is on the motor side, but if I just need the Yamaha multifunction gauge, it is cheaper than the cables and modules needed on HB side.

One more thing to think about before going to digital gages is that if you get it setup with the FF it is a lot more readily portable. If you ever want to take the system to another boat for example you can transfer the system easily. No holes from gages will be left behind. That's one of the main reasons I did it.

eeshaw said:
One more thing to think about before going to digital gages is that if you get it setup with the FF it is a lot more readily portable. If you ever want to take the system to another boat for example you can transfer the system easily. No holes from gages will be left behind. That's one of the main reasons I did it.

This was the reason the NMEA link to a FF was a big deal for me. My boat is a tiller setup with no good place for a bunch of gauges. Gauges also cost a lot individually and the command link kit with the gauge is actually more money than a backbone kit plus Yamaha drop. Data readout through the FF was the most appealing option for me. I am a big fan of analog tachometers though but I actually wasn’t able to find any info on a signal wire or the number of poles needed for my F25.

I have not done this yet myself due to not having a compatible FF yet but I may be able to upgrade soon. I’m currently searching for some posts elsewhere online where I saw people who have done this with the F25. I’ll update with what I find.

wmk0002 said:
eeshaw said:

This was the reason the NMEA link to a FF was a big deal for me. My boat is a tiller setup with no good place for a bunch of gauges. Gauges also cost a lot individually and the command link kit with the gauge is actually more money than a backbone kit plus Yamaha drop. Data readout through the FF was the most appealing option for me. I am a big fan of analog tachometers though but I actually wasn’t able to find any info on a signal wire or the number of poles needed for my F25.

I have not done this yet myself due to not having a compatible FF yet but I may be able to upgrade soon. I’m currently searching for some posts elsewhere online where I saw people who have done this with the F25. I’ll update with what I find.

Yes, please keep us updated with what you find.

I did miss/forgot that he is running a tiller. :oops: On my tillers, only use a tiny tach equivelent to give me hours and rpms. You only need rpms for prop testing and after that your ears will tell you if it is over or under reving. Hour meter is not a real-time need, either. If those are the only things you gain, then NMEA seems to be over complicated for that. I'm interested in reading the engine temp, water pressure, fuel pressure, and oil pressure, things that can be monitored real-time to detect an early problem. Unfortunatly, it looks like you need the command link plus for warnings and error codes. :(

Yall let me know if you can see the image below. Copied the image link from within a private Facebook group so I can see it but not sure what it may look like on yalls end. Its a readout from a F25.

I messaged the guy who posted it and he said he has rpms, hours, volts, engine temp, and fuel flow rate. He said the water pressure shows like 140 psi so it must not work. He said his larger Yamaha required adding a water pressure gauge himself. He is unsure of engine oil pressure but in the pic it looks like its zeroed out.

236971538_4513336895393130_2843640586614321328_n.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if all the pressure stuff, oil, water, etc. are only available on the larger displacement engines. I know on mine that if I wanted a trim indicator I'd have to pop for it and then have a calibration done so I don't see that happening. Another thing I just thought of, does Yamaha offer an app that you can buy and download to your phone? That might be something to check into also.

wmk0002,

Thanks for posting the image....as they say, a picture is worth 1000 words!

I agree that the Yamaha 6Y8 gauge and cables are more expensive than the NMEA backbone and connector cables.

Question:

Is the NMEA connection from engine to FF provide the SAME data as if engine were connected to the Yamaha 6Y8 gauge? Or, is the 6Y8 capable of providing additional data?

Thanks

No personal experience with them.
From browsing their site, they seem very willing to answer questions & get you hooked with what you need.

kdgrills said:
Came across this, from a post over on microskiff.com,
thought it may be helpful:

https://goldenchannels.com/product/yamaha-lowrance-garmin-humminbird-complete-nmea-bundle/

Thanks for the links kdgrills!

I did purchase a similar kit from two different vendors....one the Lowrance Starter Kit for NMEA and one Lowrance Yamaha Interface Cable. My cost for the two was a little more than the link provided, so it is a very good deal for both.

BTW.....what data is provided via your 6Y8? I wonder if the data I'll get on my Lowrance FF will be the same as you get on the 6Y8?

Tin Man said:
kdgrills said:
Came across this, from a post over on microskiff.com,
thought it may be helpful:

https://goldenchannels.com/product/yamaha-lowrance-garmin-humminbird-complete-nmea-bundle/

Thanks for the links kdgrills!

I did purchase a similar kit from two different vendors....one the Lowrance Starter Kit for NMEA and one Lowrance Yamaha Interface Cable. My cost for the two was a little more than the link provided, so it is a very good deal for both.

BTW.....what data is provided via your 6Y8? I wonder if the data I'll get on my Lowrance FF will be the same as you get on the 6Y8?

RPM, trim, voltage, cooling temp (bar graph, not a number), hours (engine total & trip), & error codes.
Cooling pressure requires an optional sensor to be installed. I think the F25 supports it, not positive though.
The gauge also has oil pressure, the F25 doesn't support it though.

Installed a Lowrance Elite Ti 9 FF and built an NMEA network. I installed a Yamaha interface cable. Both of these cables/kits are Lowrance products.

I built an NMEA network, connected my Yamaha F25LWTC (interface cable) to Lowrance NMEA network, and connected Elite to network. The NME network has a power cable (t connector) in the middle of FF and engine.

I am unable to find the "Yamaha" device under network, settings, devices list. This means I am unable to show engine data (engine hours).

Does engine have to be running for hours to display?

I watched several videos but none are for my situation.

What can I try next?

Thanks

Latest posts