2018 G3 V167T VS 2017 Alumacraft V16

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have a 2017 Alumacraft V16 with Yamaha 25.
I am considering a used boat with additional storage. My V16 has very little storage, 70" beam, two small storage pods, and no live well. It has no area to mount a TM (would have to fab one). It is max rated at 25hp.

Alumacraft V16

I found a 2018 G3 V167T with Yamaha 50. It has 13 hours total from original owner. It is in like new condition. About 300 miles from my home, so not too easy just go look at.

G3 V167T

Anyone have this boat that can comment on its pros/cons, etc? Quality, storage, space for 2-3 anglers, the tiller option, etc.

I would like to determine how much of an upgrade it would be over my current boat, besides the larger motor. They are identical in length at 16'-7".

Thanks!

Ask for pics, that should show some differences.. I f your current 16' is only rated for 25 hp it must not be very well built. With higher hp ratings comes better construction, heavier materials, more flotation and higher capacity loads. My 16' Sylvan has lots of storage and is rated at 80hp.

Interesting....perhaps I'm not understanding capacity placards correctly

On my Alumacraft V16 the yellow capacity placard shows 5 persons/1020# (persons, motor, gear: 1380#).
The G3's placard states 5 persons/700# (persons, motor, gear: 1175#)

I am assuming with the G3's heavier hull, added storage, livewell, heavier motor, etc., subtracts from the capacity.

But person, motor, gear is still 205# less than my 16.
Am I missing something?

Well the G3 is a much heavier package and likely displaces a similar amount of water. Physics would show that it holds less weight as a result. If you tossed the bench seats in the Alumacraft, hung a 50 on the back, added full floors, a deck, and a livewell, the weight capacities would be similar.

The G3 would be easier to fish out of, ride better, and plane a lot easier when loaded. Neither will fish three people very well, although few boats in that size class will. The G3 will be much easier to move to and fro in, no bench seats to step over.

I think that to fish three people effectively, you need a 17+ foot boat with a very wide floor so you aren't dancing or stepping over each other all the time.

Last edited:
I have the same question about capacity ratings. When I compare my 18'gregor walk thru with the 18' Lund walk thru that TinMan was looking at before, my capacity is slightly less. The Lund is about 60% heavier and can handle 115 HP while my lighter weight Gregor max's out at 60 HP.

The boat builders ......ARE.......A SELF REGULATED industry. So they are free to lie about anything they want to that will help to sell their boat.
How is it possible for so many 16' & same width boats to have so big of a difference in carried weight and maximum H P ? Freedom to post whatever they want to.

Latest posts