20hp Suzuki mounting question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTwolverine

Reaction score
I just got a 20hp Suzuki in for my 548 War Eagle. I'm not sure how to finish mounting it. I'm going to use four thru-bolts in the transom. The mounting bracket on the motor has three slots for the top bolts and one set of slots in the bottom. I'll need to put the bolts through the lowest holes in the top section to get the cav plate level with the bottom of the boat. This will result in a gap between the top of the transom and the mounting bracket, and the weight of the motor will be resting on the thru-bolts.

Here's my question - should I worry about that gap? Would it be best to mount a piece of HDPE or wood to fill the gap? Thanks!

No worries.. my 30hp mercury ( tohatsu) is mounted by the dealer with a gap, And only 2 through bolts. As long as there is still room to clamp on the screw clamps you'll be ok.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

GYPSY400 said:
No worries.. my 30hp mercury ( tohatsu) is mounted by the dealer with a gap, And only 2 through bolts. As long as there is still room to clamp on the screw clamps you'll be ok.

Reassuring, thanks. Suzuki only supplied two thru-bolts so apparently they think that is plenty sufficient. I’ve seen it done with four and two bolts, I guess there’s an advantage to only doing the top bolts to minimize the number of drilled holes near the waterline?

Yes, less holes the better.. and it's only a 20hp, so 2 bolts is plenty.

Wether there is a gap or not, friction is what is holding the motor in place.

If things get loose enough that you have to rely on the bolts/bolt holes alone you’re in for a bad time.

Latest posts