250 SJ pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roost

Reaction score
Im looking for a 250 merc SJ pump. Besides ebay, does anyone know of one for sale or a good place to find one?

Thanks, Roost

Maybe I should have posted this in the wanted section. My feelings wont be hurt if its moved :oops: :LOL2:

Thanks, Just a little winter project im thinking about starting.. I dont like being the guy that talks about something and then doesn't do it so I dont want to get into to many details until I get my hands on a good pump.

Ill try calling duckys 2mor. I at least want to hear more about their 250 build.

At the risk of sounding like a know it all, if you're intended use is bass fishing the SusQ, I wouldn't recommend the 250 SJ. The 250 has a bigger foot print, heavier, and less reliable than the 200.

shay fb knows the dude stalk his friends list for lance dunham or ldguideservice.com last i heard he loved it on a 22 or 24 ft sea ark with float pods think he said it did like 47mph or something like that

shallowminedid said:
shay fb knows the dude stalk his friends list for lance dunham or ldguideservice.com last i heard he loved it on a 22 or 24 ft sea ark with float pods think he said it did like 47mph or something like that
Thanks

Kevin Turner said:
At the risk of sounding like a know it all, if you're intended use is bass fishing the SusQ, I wouldn't recommend the 250 SJ. The 250 has a bigger foot print, heavier, and less reliable than the 200.
I appreciate it. Do you have pictures of a 250 SJ in a low pro?

Roost said:
Kevin Turner said:
I appreciate it. Do you have pictures of a 250 Sport J in a low pro?

Here's a couple pics I snapped of the 250 / 240 / 200 power heads. As you can see, the 250 and it's 3.0L block has a larger foot print than the 240 / 200 2.5L block. Also, the 250 engine to pump adapter plate is taller and longer. Thus with the pump, the 250 / 3.0L dwarfs the 240/200 2.5L. Over all performance goes to the 240. 90lbs lighter, revs quicker, and with a little attention to the botm and intake, has a higher top end.

SJ Side By Side (4).JPGSJ Side By Side (1).JPG

Thanks for the pictures Kevin. If I wanted a light race sled I would go with the 240 but Ive done enough research and talked with enough people to steer me away from that rout. As im sure you know the EFI motors aren't as reliable or fuel efficient as the opti's. That 3.0L is very intriguing to me.. If I could score a used 250 cheap, refresh along with slapping in some new boyesen carbon fiber reeds, WSM pistons and do a little port work without sacrificing reliability the power to weight ratio would be greater then the new 200 opti and id still save a few bucks...

Please share the pictures of that 3.0 in one of your boats if you find them.

If you wanna hot rod the motor go take a look at screamandfly.com Lots of big merc gurus over there. Personally I'd go with Chris Carson reeds or TDRs reeds. Boyseens don't last very long and the perfomance gains start to fade. They don't seal as well after a couple hours running and Carson and TDRs are cheaper. They make custom reeds for ported reed cages.(easy safe gains)

Lil' Blue Rude said:
If you wanna hot rod the motor go take a look at screamandfly.com Lots of big merc gurus over there. Personally I'd go with Chris Carson reeds or TDRs reeds. Boyseens don't last very long and the perfomance gains start to fade. They don't seal as well after a couple hours running and Carson and TDRs are cheaper. They make custom reeds for ported reed cages.(easy safe gains)
Thanks, ill look into that info!

Roost said:
As im sure you know the EFI motors aren't as reliable or fuel efficient as the opti's. That 3.0L is very intriguing to me.. If I could score a used 250 cheap, refresh along with slapping in some new boyesen carbon fiber reeds, WSM pistons and do a little port work without sacrificing reliability the power to weight ratio would be greater then the new 200 opti and id still save a few bucks...
Roost-
Plse, with duel respect...
I do not agree with the above, but I understand intriguing. That said, sometimes we need to learn things on our own. I'll lay low and wish you the best of luck!

No worries Kevin, Don't hold back. I appreciate your thoughts. I'm curious what your concerns are and I'm really anxious to see the pics of the motor in one of your boats.

Roost said:
No worries Kevin, Don't hold back. I appreciate your thoughts. I'm curious what your concerns are and I'm really anxious to see the pics of the motor in one of your boats.
Generalities here…
The pump is the limiting factor. Since the 250/240/200 share the same intake/housing/impeller/stator/nozzle etc… Impeller speed is the only variable. Unlike a prop, low end torque isn't important to the SJ. Thus the 250’s low end torque would be of little use for your proposed build. Actually, it’s a liability. With a shallow deadrise and raised tunneled intake, the impeller sits high in the water. The impeller can’t absorb near instant torque, thus “blows out”.
On the other end of the spectrum, the under driven SJ impeller’s perf drops off substantially above 4000 RPMs. If I remember correctly (shooting from the hip here) the 250 Power Head maxed out @ 5600 RPMs, thus the 1.15:1 under driven impeller was turning @ 4900 RPMs. But there was little difference in top speed from a blade speed of 4500-4900, so essentially you’re just burning more fuel. Also, unless it’s a finely tuned hull / tunnel design, pump loading above 45-48 MPH will be a struggle.

Latest posts