25hp Johnson trouble

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33519

Reaction score
So I have a 1982 25hp Johnson, I have two questions. Firstly I'm wondering if I have a 30hp carb on it because it has to have the slow speed needle at about 7/8 of a turn to idle correctly and I'm unsure why. Second question, has anyone ever had a cdi that the kill wire doesn't work on? I've checked the wire by probing a needle right where it enters the cdi, but the wire is good.

Welcome to the forum!
Needle setting means nothing. That is simply where the setting ended up to run your engine smoothly at idle. Carburetor part number can be looked up if your carb still has the tag on it.
You say you probed the kill wire. First.....identify the wire for me that you "probed". Secondly tell me what you were checking for and what setting was used on your VOM.

I was checking for a short on the black wire with the yellow stripe, I have the wiring diagram for the outboard but it just won't shut off with the key or the kill switch.

Do not touch the end of the black/yellow as it has anywhere up to around 300v going through it but you can disconnect it and touch it to ground and it should shut the engine off immediately. Safer way to do it is to shut if off, ground the wire and try and start it. Should not start.
Your particular key switch should have two "M" terminals on it. One is a system ground and the other should have the bl/y. When turning the key switch to off those two terminals should be connected electrically. Check it with your ohmeter. Same with yout kill circuit. with the key switch "on" engine not running, one side of the kill sw (the black/yellow side) should show open to ground and the black side should show a direct connection to ground.

You saw no voltage because it is AC voltage, not DC ! You need a peak reading voltmeter to check it. Secondly voltage will only be present while cranking or running not while the key is on and engine not running.
Regardless of how you had it wired I have given you ways to check it! Please re-read what is written and report back what you find.

Regardless of what the voltmeter says I know the cdi isn't putting anything out on that wire or I would've been shocked by trying to ground it stripped back and with bare hands, don't assume I don't know how to read a multimeter. there is no voltage and no short in the wire so the cdi has got to be bad, but I've never seen a cdi go bad this way where it will still operate but not shut off, I regret even asking a question.

Sorry but I already knew what was wrong, I asked if this had happened to anyone else before. You missed the context of the original question and tried to make me feel like I was wrong.

No....that is not my intent.
YOU have to remember that this is an open forum. You had 2 posts when you started this thread. I have zero idea what your capabilities are based on 2 posts.
Other people read these threads in hopes that they can learn from them and this is the way I write. Not just for you!
What we (you and I) were doing is making sure by elimination and basic troubleshooting that we eliminate the wiring from the power pack (what you call the CDi box) after which a definite determination could be made that the power pack has indeed failed.
To answer your original question,Yes, I have seen packs fail like this. But....nobody else would have learned a single thing from that answer and in this forum we try and teach a bit about basic troubleshooting for anyone who reads this.
I am not here to serve you.
I do this to give back what I have learned through many decades of work and learning and teaching. Read my profile and you may understand a bit more. Have a great weekend.

Writing everything in bold and overusing exclamation points just makes the reading sound rude, sorry.

Wow, first post and treated like crap from the get go, doesn't occur to you I could've helped others too, doesn't matter, I'm smart enough to fix my own problems. I'll never use another forum again.

Tell me where I treated you like crap until you got on me about my use of bold? Contrary to your belief.... your thread was not "all about you!" You seem to be "entitled". I write so others can learn when they read what is written.
I use bold to quickly find my posts in lengthy threads so that I can check and see if I have already mentioned something or what I have said if it is an old resurrected thread or to correct something if I made an error. Trust me .... it had nothing to do with you.

Pappy, I don't know you and I don't usually post to sites like this but I depend on them for valuable information and the experience of people like yourself. I seriously can't believe how this guy has responded to you. There are obviously many more problems in his life than a boat motor. I hope you don't let this discourage you from trying to help in the future. People like me depend on people like you. Thank you for sharing your experience and wisdom. Have a good one. Jack Brown

Pappys bolded posting style threw me at first, but I just chalked it up to his posting style and went with it.

Never saw the need to get emotional about it.

Pappy: Don’t get shocked!

Op: Wah, you’re mean I quit…..takes ball and goes home.

Not shocked by much these days but then again I have limited experience with the "entitled generation"!
My style will not change. I still believe in keeping this forum to a high standard of information sharing while helping folks who need help.
DaleH and RBW Thanks for the support! I do appreciate it. Now you know why I post in bold !
Tablesaw - Looks like you will fit in pretty well around here and thanks for your support as well.

Latest posts