2x4 Bunk Covering

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Preparing to replace the 2x4 wood bunks with green Doug Fir and new covering.
I have always used bunk carpet and it lasts 3-5 years depending on use. They always wear out at rear edges before the flat surfaces.

Debating between:
  • Bunk carpet (with what appears to be a thin rubber backing)
  • Good quality indoor/outdoor with rubber backing
  • (both of which I have enough to cover the two bunks)

OR

• The plastic coverings sold by Gatorbak and the Caliber Bunk Wrap (at one third the cost of Gatorbak-Amazon).

Anybody comment on using any of the two plastic products?

Thanks!

I need to replace mine too (they are worn through in the same place you mentioned). I've seen those plastic bunk covers at the ramps. They look terrific. I would like to use them. But I'm too cheap. In other threads guys talk about being happy using plastic gutter downspout material to wrap 2x4 bunks.

One of these days I need to head over to the Home Depot. I'll check out the gutter stuff, but likely just get some indoor/outdoor carpet and call it a day.

i don't know if These covers would fit the bill, but they are quite a bit cheaper than the gatorback. Stumbled across them when i was brainstorming making little sliders for the bed of my truck.
Those appear to be add on pieces to allow boat to slide on/off, but they do not cover the bunk board. The Gatorback and Caliber actually cover the the top and sides of the bunk board.

I tried the Caliber bunk wrap on one of my trailers and it worked well, but the material is kind of soft and I wonder what the longevity of it would really be. On another trailer, I tried cutting the pvc downspout in half and that is a much stronger material and has worked pretty good. It's also less expensive.

bunk_wrap1.jpgbunk_wrap5.jpg

trailer4.jpg

Don't know if you guys boat in saltwater, but a neighbor had a custom aluminum boat made for the marshes, and after four years, the salt that was soaked into his carpeted bunks ate four slots into the bottom! He had to take it back to the builder and have a new bottom installed. My tin boat only weighs about 300 pounds, and I use grey PVC pipe for my bunks. No trapped water or anything to absorb salt. If you occasionally launch in salt, wash thoroughly. FYI. TexasJim

Since you are replacing wood and coverings, have you considered gojng with composite lumber bunks? No coverings required………..I just did this with my trailer and used Ultimate Bunks……

My bunks are just plain 2x4's that I painted with leftover stain from painting the tool shed. Did this in 2018 and it's still good and no ill effects on the boat. 16' Naden. 

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1676209727404.jpg
    FB_IMG_1676209727404.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I really like the idea of the downspouts. If you just put 4' right over the ends of your carpeted bunks, where it wears the most, that might be a good solution.

Preparing to replace the 2x4 wood bunks with green Doug Fir and new covering.
I have always used bunk carpet and it lasts 3-5 years depending on use. They always wear out at rear edges before the flat surfaces.

Debating between:
  • Bunk carpet (with what appears to be a thin rubber backing)
  • Good quality indoor/outdoor with rubber backing
  • (both of which I have enough to cover the two bunks)

OR

• The plastic coverings sold by Gatorbak and the Caliber Bunk Wrap (at one third the cost of Gatorbak-Amazon).

Anybody comment on using any of the two plastic products?

Thanks!
I live in west Florida and mostly boat in the Gulf. I think the best combo for harsh weather and saltwater is cedar 2 x 4’s and quality polymer bunk skids. Mine are from a Florida based company - Surfix. Super slick and easy to install…

Attachments

• 5925C1C7-D84C-41B4-B913-E8FC9B32F57B.jpeg
    5925C1C7-D84C-41B4-B913-E8FC9B32F57B.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 2A890058-F462-4395-AEE1-D1B59005FB96.jpeg
    2A890058-F462-4395-AEE1-D1B59005FB96.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 3
Those appear to be add on pieces to allow boat to slide on/off, but they do not cover the bunk board. The Gatorback and Caliber actually cover the the top and sides of the bunk board.
Not sure that would be a good thing.....leaving as much wood as possible exposed will help it dry faster to slow down rotting. In past years, I have had bunks fully covered and some partially covered...the partially covered bunks got much more life out of the wood.

I am looking to add a couple bunk boards to my roller trailer to help center the boat easier. With the rollers at the rear, it can be easy for the keel to roll over a mid roller and get off center. By adding a couple bunks the keel would have no choice but to stay centered. Now to my question..has anyone used the "ultimate bunk boards" been looking at them, at 80 bucks for two 7' long bunk boards, no carpet, no glide strips are needed. No rot, just did some cost estimates on a couple 2x4's, bunk carpet and or bunk glides, all added up to where the ultimate bunks are only a few bucks more, and my labor is worth something....so....has anyone used the " ultimate bunk boards" ??? Good/ Bad......thanks in advance !!

Well.....just got a quote back from ultimate bunk boards for shipping....ouch....70 dollars for shipping a pair of 80 dollar bunk boards....mabey not so cost effective afterall...

You could buy those synthetic / plastic wood looking porch & deck boards. Precolored
Make sure it is only plastic in them !!! Scrap paper & cardboard & wood chips WILL ALL MOLD forever.

Latest posts