2X4 vs 2X6.....Thoughts?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
As my other threads have indicated, I am making some upgrades/improvements to my trailer. It is a 2017 Karavan 16' with 2"x4"x5' carpeted bunks.

I will be adding an adjustable bunk bracket to the A frame of trailer so that I extend the bunks to 6' (see drawing below). The additional one foot length I'm sure will be minimal in terms of added support and load spreading.

However, what about when I go to make the new bunk boards I make them 2"x6"x6'?

Are there any concerns with these wider boards?
They should just fit on the outside of the bottom hull strakes.

My goal with all of this (bunks, rollers, etc) is to support the boat/hull as much as possible. The roads to/from the lakes I frequent are horrible!

Thanks!

Attachments

• bunk 1.jpeg
    bunk 1.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 106
  • bunk2.jpeg
    bunk2.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 106
  • drawing bunks.jpeg
    drawing bunks.jpeg
    37 KB · Views: 106
I think the 2x4 will be plenty. It will be all strapped down and you are adding length. If you don’t have one, get a transom saver.

FuzzyGrub said:
I think the 2x4 will be plenty. It will be all strapped down and you are adding length. If you don’t have one, get a transom saver.

I agree with FuzzyGrub. Just about every boat out there sits on 2x4 bunks. Using 2x6 won't hurt as long as they fit between the strakes or flukes or whatever you all those things. But I question if it is worth it.

LDUBS said:
FuzzyGrub said:

I agree with FuzzyGrub. Just about every boat out there sits on 2x4 bunks. Using 2x6 won't hurt as long as they fit between the strakes or flukes or whatever you all those things. But I question if it is worth it.

Ditto here - if you were supporting the boat with the 2x? edge up (narrow edge against the boat), the 2x6 would be stronger - but with the wide edge against the boat, there's really no difference in the strength of the board...2x4 will be fine.

FWIW: Our new G3, a much heavier boat, uses 4" polymer bunks.

With the wider 2x6 and extending them past the transom, to support it well, it will give you less options with transducer placement. You don't want the transducer behind a strake because the turbulance will cause issues with the sonar readings.

Latest posts