3rd Annual Wisconsin/Illinois Tournament Postponed (See pg3)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYOB Fishing

Reaction score
I've sent in the information for the 2012 WI/IL Tinboats.net Tournament! This is the third year for the event, and it's Illinois' turn to host. It was earlier decided that the venue would be Clinton Lake, Clinton IL on May 19th. Start time is 6:30am-3:00pm. The launch will take place at the Weldon Ramp, due to regulations in place that will not allow tournaments to go out of the camp ground boat ramp on our date.

Format – This tournament/get together will have something for everyone. Fishing starts at 6:30am and runs till 3:00pm. After the fishing tournament, we will hold a well deserved potluck (according to the tournament permit, all fish caught during the tournament must be released). Entry fee is only $20 per boat- payouts are 100%! Doorprizes are guaranteed! There are 2 divisions – Bass and Crappie. Entry to the tournament automatically enters you in both categories.

Bass – The bass portion is going to weigh the top 3 bass only. To win ‘BIG BASS’, your biggest catch must be brought to the weigh in to be weighed, recorded, and released by a tournament official (me). I expected a lot of lunkers for the pictures!

Crappie – The crappie portion of the tournament will be decided by the total weight of 5 (yes only five) fish. They must be brought to the weigh in alive and healthy where they will be weighed, recorded, and released.

BIG Bass – The sponsors edition of the Big Bass Contest...If you catch the winning BIG Bass on a sponsors bait or lure, you will win DOUBLE the amount in the Big Bass Pot

Camping/Hotels –

https://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Clinton_Lake_State_Recreation_Area/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=IL&parkId=451791&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

Camping reservations (Starting at $20) are open and can be made online at the link above. I have reserved site #26, Group G. I would suggest any sites in Group G, specifically 18-23, all in close proximity to each other (good for keeping an eye on gear) and are electric sites with campfires allowed. They also allow RV and Trailer camping, in addition to tents.

I know not everyone enjoys camping out so if you want to stay in a hotel, just google Clinton, IL hotels and you should be set.

Other Information -
To bring live fish to the weigh-in, you must have some method to keep the fish alive.
There is no horsepower limit on the lake.
There are no lake fees out of the boat launch.
If you’d like to come but don’t want to tow your boat, let me know and maybe we can hook you up with another tinboater for the day.
The closest airport is Bloomington (BMI) and has daily connecting flights from Chicago.

Contact Info - Contact me via private message or here to confirm entry - before the tournament I’ll send you my cell phone if you have any questions. You can register for the tournament up to the morning of, but if you are late, you might be left on the docks. Also feel free to post here if you want to let others know you’re coming.

To ensure we are not exclusive, we are opening this up to all tinboaters\family\friends who want to make the trip - as long as we stay under 19 boats, we are good to go.

Currently the following members have confirmed entry via Private Message (PM) as of 4/2:

BYOB Fishing
wasilvers

If you're wanting to confirm entry, please PM me...Thanks!

As always, this is subject to change at any time, for any reason. Hope to see you there!

YES!!! I tenativly have permission to go!!!-though I'll be paying the price for it later ;

Sounds interesting. I've never been in any kind of tournament or meet up. Is there a deadline to sign up? My boat is a couple weeks from water ready.

You can show up the day of. No worries about not having the boat ready, I'm sure you can ride along with someone.

One thing I didn't mention was cost. $20/boat is probably fair, and an optional big bass @ $5.

Quick question, do you know of any reason we can't launch near the campsite then boat to the Weldon ramp? Guess I don't know how far it is, and google didn't show me on the map.

wasilvers said:
Quick question, do you know of any reason we can't launch near the campsite then boat to the Weldon ramp? Guess I don't know how far it is, and google didn't show me on the map.

I think it's probably close to three miles between the two ramps. Two different basins. But, I can't see why that would be a problem at all. The impression I got by reading the paperwork was that they didn't want big gatherings assembling inside of the campground during the quiet hours, which run until 7am. Makes sense I guess..

Couple of questions who are the sponsors, would like to try out their baits ahead of time. And do striped bass qualifiy.

po1 said:
Couple of questions who are the sponsors, would like to try out their baits ahead of time. And do striped bass qualifiy.

The current board sponsors that are selling fishing lures are:

Get Five Lures
Crappielures.com
JD Baits
Tin Head Jigs

I'll pony up the bonus if one of the sponsors' baits are used to catch the Big Bass.

Jim said:
BYOB,
I can throw in a couple of TinBoats shirts for prizes/giveaways if you want. Let me know.

That would be great Jim, Thank You!

One of these days, it would be great to see you at one of these events!

Last time I was on clinton was 20 years ago with a 455 olds jet boat, tubing.

Do you think it would be doable with just trolling motors? Is there fishing pretty close to the ramp in other words? I probably still won't have a gas motor by then.

parkerdog said:
Last time I was on clinton was 20 years ago with a 455 olds jet boat, tubing.

Do you think it would be doable with just trolling motors? Is there fishing pretty close to the ramp in other words? I probably still won't have a gas motor by then.
The first tourey was won without only trollng motor power :)

I'd do without hesitation. Just be prepared: fully charged battery, spare battery(fully charged), and cell phone with some of the guys telephone #'s in case of trolling motor failure or unexpected bad weather moving in.

Yep, it can be done. There is a nice set of coves to the south west, and riprap banks to the north, and a bridge to the east. All can be accessed by trolling motor.

Might try to make it. I LOVE Clinton. Can I bring my bassboat :oops: hehe.... that lake can get rough. Guess it will be a good test for my 16'er.

Does anyone know if the campground has cabins or if there are any motels anywhere close? I can't pull my camper and boat and I'm not sure if we want tent it.

fishingmich said:
Does anyone know if the campground has cabins or if there are any motels anywhere close? I can't pull my camper and boat and I'm not sure if we want tent it.

If nothing real close the bigger towns aren't that far away on the interstates 20-30 miles. College towns lots of hotels. Bloomington/Normal, Champaign/Urbana, Decatur, even Springfield.

Good place to stay is Days Inn in Farmers city, IL at I-74 exit 159. big parking lot reasonable rates and about 15-20 minutes from the lake. I stay there about five years ago while fishing clinton lake on vaction. Stopped there several times while driving a big rig.

Thanks po! That helps a lot. If it looks like there's gonna be a good enough turnout, I think me and my boy will be there! It should be fun!

Latest posts