4 stroke sat for years

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
My son bought a lowe 18' stinger with a 70hp Johnson(Suzuki) around a month ago...still hasmt had time to see if the motors good. The guy he bought it from said its been stored for about 4 years, who knows i wasnt there.
Guess my question is ...being a 4 stroke is there anything different to look at in terms of trying to start this outboard(compared to a 2 stroke)?
I mean new fuel is a no brainer, gonna use a remote tank., most likely change the plugs, filter and oil. Ill make sure theres lower unit oil for now...probably the water impeller
Any obvious things im missing...

If possible, squirt a little oil in the spark plug holes and crank it over a couple revs by hand. It'll smoke a bit on startup, but might save the bores.

Roger

I probably wouldn't do anything other than fresh gas. If it's a carb motor, I would get the fuel system hooked up, open all of the carb drains, and drain/flush every carb really well with the primer before you try to start it. If EFI, I would still try to flush the fuel system somehow.

I would definitely service the water pump, as they will take a "set" from sitting in one position. But you can do that after you get it running and verify that the motor is okay.

I wouldn't even worry too much about the oil. If you want, crack the drain and make sure there is no water in it. After 4 years it should be separated and sitting in the bottom of the crankcase. If all you get is clean oil, crank it up, and do it after it's warmed up.

I won't spend any money on a motor that hasn't been verified to be in good health. Would suck to eat $100 in parts if it has a dead hole.

So the first question is, why did it SIT for four years? Why was it not used? And is the answer given to the buyer truthful?

I have been burned many, many times over the years from untruthful sellers. I knew it every time too but luckily I was able to fix my mess up and recover my losses on all but one occasion.

anyway, if efi it still should have a drain on the vst (vapor separator tank)--which is a small tank mounted on the side of the motor somewhere. I ain't never seen one that didn't have some sort of drain on it. If it's got anything left in it check it-is it really nasty brown/green stuff? If so, you can figure on pulling the vst apart and replacing the fuel pump as well as the injectors--just to start. Possibly fuel pressure regulator. And probably the low side fuel pump. Check the lines too.

if carb drain them. Or at the very least one of them and if it comes out brown/green/stinky, figure on a carb cleaning/rebuild. Some of these carbs can be a real bear too so you may find it beneficial to pick up a service manual. When doing the carbs, also do the fuel pump. Check the lines too, bend them pretty tight and if they crack, replace them all. Nothing worse than being out in the middle of the lake with a huge fuel leak and/or a non-running engine. And usually that happens when nobody else is around to help or tow....

water pump for sure. Might as well just take the foot off before you ever try to crank the engine over. A lot of times the impeller will just fall apart and starting the engine will force the pieces of the busted impeller up into the water tube and wherever else. So if I know a motor's been sitting a while I usually just take the foot off before turning it over.

Also on 4 strokes, timing belt. Many of them have a timing belt system and obviously belts are usually rubber, they too can rot.

Around here, doesn't matter if it's 2 or 4 stroke, when they sit the dirt dobbers will build nests under the cowling. Most cowlings will have a removable silencer, take it off and clean it. If the motor has signs of dirt nests on it, clean them off immediately. Outboards don't have air filters (some have a "filter" but it doesn't really filter, it's just a silencer) so any dirt that gets under the cowling goes right into the engine. I've seen tons of destroyed powerheads due to mud dobbers.

Thought I'd do a follow up...Good news... got it going
Thanks for mentioning the "vst"...the fuel that was in the tank i used in my lawn mower, didnt have any funky smell(4 years old)
Took it for an hour cruise(salt water)hno hick ups
Is there a way to see how many hours are on a 2003 ish 4 stroke? This thing looks to have about 10 hours on it, if that.

Latest posts