48SPL forward gear

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby

Reaction score
I have a 48SPL with a bad forward gear does anybody know if the gears on all 48 SPL will interchange or was some years different?

I’m sorry but the stickers are damaged and I don’t have a title,it is dark blue with red lettering ,it was on a a 1988 boat I bought according to the color chart it could be a 1985 thru 1988,the forward gear has a couple of teeth missing, I know they had different lower unit on some years, I am just trying to find a forward gear number and I don’t know how to find out,just thought maybe someone would know.

Am about 90% sure they are all compatible but when I need an answer like this the first place I go is into marine engine and start looking at the fwd. gear/pinion gear on different year models and see if the P/Ns are the same.
About the only thing that will take out a fwd gear is incorrect shift rod height, incorrect shift linkage adjustment or slow shifting. Make sure all are correct when going through the gearcase and adjusting

Am about 90% sure they are all compatible but when I need an answer like this the first place I go is into marine engine and start looking at the fwd. gear/pinion gear on different year models and see if the P/Ns are the same.
About the only thing that will take out a fwd gear is incorrect shift rod height, incorrect shift linkage adjustment or slow shifting. Make sure all are correct when going through the gearcase and adjusting
Thank You