5 lbs difference

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zum

Reaction score
Tohatsu 30 (mfsd) long shaft 158lbs
Suzuki 30 long shaft 163 ?
Are these correct numbers? If so not much difference, probably stick to the Suzuki as the dealer is close.
Looking for a 30hp L shaft, with power tilt trim...electric seems to always be combined.

Yea, once you get above 15 hp, the electric start is so much easier !!! You never know when you might flood it and yanking gets old real quick !! You only need a small battery for the electric start unless you use it for other electronics. A friend has a small boat with a 20 hp motor and he uses two small batteries in one battery box....one as a start only battery and the other small battery is for his fish finder. Power trim can be very usefull if performance is of importance to you, especially in a smaller light weight boat. Just like autos and trucks, people want the bells and whistles nowadays, so thst is how dealers order them.

With power tilt trim...does the motor still kick up? Not that I want to hit something just wondering

With power tilt trim...does the motor still kick up? Not that I want to hit something just wondering
No, the hydraulics hold it in both directions.

Great question. I have PT&T and wondered the same thing. I expected the answer FuzzyGrub gives but really didn't know.

If it is a serious issue where you will be boating, they probably make kick-up jack plates. Also there is likely a way on the Suzuki to release the power trim hydraulics, but I'm not sure how that would work.

Thanks all.

Some one posted on another forum that there is a part that is supposed to break away on impact, I have no idea if true or not...hope I never have to find out !!

Thanks for the answers.... was hopeing newer versions might release
Did some research after I asked the question, looked at a few breakaway plates and man , there pricey.(grand Canadian)
Next, seen if anyone is making a homemade versions...none that I could find.
Seen a version a guy makes in Australia, looks simple enough, just have to ask my son if its possible.
Although, hit anything at speed and the lower units are normally messed up, prop for sure.

And although the Tohatsu is 128lbs(lightest version) ,the long shaft with PT/T, electric is 158lbs, so not much difference(found the weight in the demensions, if you download them on the Tohatsu site.)

After some additional research, I did find that all the brand name outboard motor mfgrs have a " breakaway" feature for high speed impact that allows the power trim to release upon impact so your transom is not ripped off. Most cannot be over come by manual lifting, but will release on impact. "Whew" glad to see that actually, had me wondering....the system varies depending on the mfgr, but it seems most use somevtype of release valve in the hydraulics of the trim unit. Watch where you boat as this break away system does not work at slow or moderate speeds, designed as a safety for high speed impact only. If you run across a sand bar, it probably wont work !!

After some additional research, I did find that all the brand name outboard motor mfgrs have a " breakaway" feature for high speed impact that allows the power trim to release upon impact so your transom is not ripped off. Most cannot be over come by manual lifting, but will release on impact. "Whew" glad to see that actually, had me wondering....the system varies depending on the mfgr, but it seems most use somevtype of release valve in the hydraulics of the trim unit. Watch where you boat as this break away system does not work at slow or moderate speeds, designed as a safety for high speed impact only. If you run across a sand bar, it probably wont work !!

Thanks! At speed it probably won't save the prop or lower unit, but the transom might survive I guess.

In my Grady, running about 30, I hit a submerged tree in the Susky back in 2001. My 200 HP Yamaha DID kick up, and the boat quickly came to a stop Scared the heck out of us!

I looked back, and the front of my motor was chopped into a tree that was probably 16" in diameter like an axe. I had to go back there and kick the tree off with my boot. No damage, besides a blocked up speedo tube on the motor. Watching that big tree sink back below the surface made me paranoid when running around that area ever since.

Submerged trees of that size are frightening. I'm SO glad the engine kicked up, or it would have been really bad. Probably would have blown the transom right off the boat had it not.

Also forgot to mention that Suzuki uses a thermal valve in the power trim to provide some protection with an impact while in reverse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230402_173411_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230402_173411_Samsung Notes.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
Think Id have to move some weight around if I go with the Suzuki. Checked one out Friday, tiller handle is short; 4/5"s shorter then a Yamaha...havnt seen a Tohatsu in person. I know theres extension handles but would rather not go that route. I know 4 strokes been around awhile now but man there big...gone are the days of lifting a 30/40hp off the back off the boat and bringing it in the basement for winter.

Just for fun, I looked up the weight of a new 40 hp Mercury motor....247 lbs plus. The 247 is for the lightest weight model. My 1992 2 stroke classic 40 hp four cylinder model weighs 192 lbs...that is an extra 55 lbs hanging on my transom if I were to go new !!! My kicker only weighs 30 lb so...my total weight of two motors is less than a new 4 stroke...and a lot cheaper also !!

It will. I posted my somewhat scary experience hitting a big tree floating just under the surface in the Susky river. My 1999, 200 HP Yamaha SWSII motor certainly did kick up. Surely, it saved the motor and the transom, and maybe our lives. Not sure what the valve is set at, but it worked great.

Some one posted on another forum that there is a part that is supposed to break away on impact, I have no idea if true or not...hope I never have to find out !!
This was 15 years ago but when I worked at a boat shop I saw a ton of boats mostly bass fisherman come in with lower units sheared off or busted. But I’m not the technician that fixed them either and never heard him mention away to release any of the motors. He talked a lot about these guys having to find different insurance companies. Lol

Latest posts