6 HP on 1436; prop guard too?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Reaction score
So I finally want to convert my all electric (bow motor plus 80#/24V stern motor) to something that can get up river (Upper Potomac). Not looking for speed and mostly solo so 6 HP 4 stroke at around 60 pounds weight seems like good choice.
Any recommendations on a small prop guard so i don't bend a shaft first time out??!

Thanks!

Do you already have the motor? If not I would definately go bigger. Fighting current with a full.fishing load is no fun if you're underpowered. If you do, I've seen guys bolt or weld on pitchforks as prop guards.

Unless you're looking to add the 6hp to save on your batteries, I don't see the benefit of going that route. The difference in speed between the 6hp and what your electric system will do on high is probably not very noticeable.

i would go 9.9 minimum on a 1436. it will plane with two people, run about 16 - 18 mph. depending where on the upper potomac you'll fish, i have a pitch fork prop gaurd in my garage you're more than welcome to.

Thanks guys! I don't have it yet. Trying to keep the weight to where I can take it off if needed (old guy with questionable back) but maybe I shouldn't focus as much on that. Bottom line after decades of fishing river, lake, Bay and ocean I realize that my first love is still those Smallies. Want to get back on them.

I ran a 8hp on a 1436 for 3 years on the upper Potomac between Mouth of Monocacy and point of rocks. It wasnt very fast but we got where we were going. Not many places on that stretch of river I would dare go fast on anyway with all the underwater hazards. Look into a macs river runner to protect your prop I know it saved mine several times. Best way to fish the Upper Potomac is to run upriver a couple miles than use trolling motor to control drift back down river while you fish.

X2 on the pitchfork prop and keep your outboard unlocked so when you feel something scraping the pitchfork, tilt the motor some and get ready to pull it out if necessary. That's what I go on my 14' Jon when I run the schuykill and Susquehanna.

Thanks gang! Looks like 8 HP will work well. A little concerned about the cheap .050 AL on the Tracker but nothing ventured..., lol. Should I use a transom saver while yanking it around on my Load-Rite?

Personally I don't think you'll need a a transom saver w/an 8 hp if your transom is in good shape. Alot of guys around here run the pitch fork set up or something similar for the upper James River. I agree,those smallies are hard to beat !! A 2 lb smallmouth on a medium lite rod w/ 6lb test line will give ya all the fight ya want :LOL2:

I have a 5hp 4s on small 13' glass boat and it pushes it to about 10mph, hull weighs ~120#. Most 8 and 9.9's weigh the same so get the most hp for what you can lift without hurting your self. Merc 4s 5 & 6 hp's weigh the same, the 8's and 9.9 the same. A 6 would do fine as long as you DO NOT get in a hurry. LOL

DSCF6081.jpg6 hp Johnson.jpg

There aint nuthin wrong with that Six except it cannot charge the batteries. I've had this one since the late 60's with no probolems at all and it made my 12's scoot along nearly 10 mph.

Latest posts