70 hp Evinrude tell tale relocation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumps

Reaction score
Has anybody done the tell tale relocation on Evinrudes as outlined in the 1994 service bulletin? I want to do it but am hesitant until I get some feedback.
Moves the tell tale from the starboard side of the block to the top of the block above the thermostat and top cylinder. Can't find a clear pdf of the bulletin to download.

There was an updated waterpump assembly for this engine. The new kit includes a different style pump/impeller assembly plus parts to do the relocation plue a different spring for the thermostat/pressure relief valve to better handle the increased pressure and volume the new style pump will put out. Well worth the investment. Re-routing the hose assures the water is reaching the top of the block before creating the tell-tail stream.

Another example of...is a new and improved version always new and improved ?? I had a 79' 70 hp Johnson that was an awesom motor !! Used it hard for many years, fishing, skiing, tubing, kneeboarding etc. Never an issue, mabey a little gas hungry but then always running hard !! It seems the newer versions had a number of issues over the years..." They dont make them like they used to" still applies to this day it seems...

Another example of...is a new and improved version always new and improved ?? I had a 79' 70 hp Johnson that was an awesom motor !! Used it hard for many years, fishing, skiing, tubing, kneeboarding etc. Never an issue, mabey a little gas hungry but then always running hard !! It seems the newer versions had a number of issues over the years..." They dont make them like they used to" still applies to this day it seems...
If you are using the new pump as an example of that you would be incorrect. The newer engine is 56 CI vs the 1979 version at 49 CI. Bigger engine and propshaft rated horsepower.
More laws on the waterways as well and more "No Wake" zones. We started seeing issues with the larger engine mainly on pontoon or similar boats and mainly in the NW zones. When these engines were lugged or sometimes propped incorrectly they would see a high throttle angle, high timing, and low RPM or what you would see while trying to fudge a bit in a NW zone. Combine this with a few other factors and we started seeing #2 cylinder failures. The new pump and pressure relief setting was developed to reduce these failures. The engine was still a pretty good design. Both versions loved RPM and really shined when propped up in the top of the band or beyond.

I don't know... I really like the newer 3-cylinder engines more. They had a few bugs to work out but those are very solid engines. The previous ones are too, just not quite as powerful.

If I recall, I think the impeller went from a 3 vane to a 5 or 6. The new pumps are MUCH better. You still see the old 3 fin version online for cheap, but don't buy them. As Pappy pointed out, it might cause serious problems.

Latest posts