86 Starcraft BASSV170 Rebuild/refit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And we have a stripped out hull. Transom was wire wheeled then cleaned with muriatic acid. Will be filling pitting tomorrow. Then paint everything so it's ready for the new transom. Still have just a little bit of old foam to get out but that too will be tomorrow. Hope to tackle getting the last piece of wood out of the hull tomorrow also. The bow plate for the trolling motor mount. Have to remove the rub rails to get it out so haven't been there yet. Lol. Turns out I have just enough solid rivets left over from the Bass tracker build to do this one up too. Winning. Hope to get the paint for the transom wood Saturday while I'm in Dallas tx picking up the humminbird 997c si that's going at the helm station. Found a used one on a trade deal that I could live with so again getting there with no immediate cash outlay. Winning. Should be able to get the rest of the wood for the subdeck and decks soon.
IMG_20200716_202655501.jpg
IMG_20200716_202703014.jpg

In the post above you can see how small the fore deck is where the trolling motor would usually be. In not sure my gatormount will fit. Will have to set it up there in the morning and see. Hopefully I can make it work. If not I will be looking for a different setup. Any ideas on possible alternative mounting location?

In the 1st post on page one in the pic on the bow is a metal trim piece. It's in three pieces and I only the outer two. Lol. Leaves a hole rite in the bow about the size of a nickel uncovered, not such a big deal I can plug that, but the busted nose looks like crud. Any ideas?

On a side note. Muriatic acid is a very effective paint stripper on whatever paint they used originally on this boat. Hell on the grass lol. But the streaks down the outside of the transom were from the acid running down from the holes. Planning to repaint the transom at least anyway so not an issue for me. Could be for you though.

Bow cap wood ready to drill and paint. That was a lot easier than anticipated. After the fight to replace the one in the bass tracker I was prepared for a hassle. Lol.

Just got back home from Dallas Texas. It was a fruitfull day. Picked up the humminbird 997c si with gps. Then went to see a friend that I haven't seen in 4+ years. He just moved out to Texas from the land of leftist loonies. So I was finally able to go see him. I will never willingly set foot in Commiefornia ever again. Even if they were to abolish all forms of leftism and fix all the issues so it was a Utopia. Too many horrible memories of the STUPIDITY of it all. Lol. But. I digress. Hope to get some more work done on the transom and bow cap tomorrow, then go Monday morning to get the rest of the immediate needed supplies. I have decided to use absolutely no carpet in this boat. For now just painted decks. Soon as money allows they will get a coat of the good nonskid.

Transom is ready to sand back and paint. Filled the larger pits and the few holes with alumaweld rod and a map torch. Then after grinding and beating it flat again from the heat warpage, skim coated it with Marine Tex. Should last another 20+ years easy. Going after the rest of the wood today.

Attachments

• 15952596231115343103346460252516.jpg
    15952596231115343103346460252516.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 112
Got two gallons of spar urethane oil base. Closest thing I could get to spar varnish. ACTUAL varnish was not available in a gallon and was super spendy. Epoxy would have been cheaper, would have went that route but it's a 10+ day shipping and I can't afford to lose 10 days possibly more. Summer is only so long. Lol. Also was able to get 4 sheets of 3/4" maple cabinet grade for $52+tax each. Cheaper than Marine and it was available. I'm aware the glue isn't waterproof. But if it gets wet that won't matter as it will rot anyway. So I am going to do at least 3 coats of spar urethane more if I have enough. Should be fine after it's all together and the epoxy gets here I will epoxy Coat the entire top deck surface sealing it like a countertop. Going to use stainless steel self tapping screws counter sunk into the decks and epoxy over them.

Just called Lowe's back and they did have the exterior in stock just didn't know it. They said they are willing to refund and exchange. So another trip to the city. Oye.

Work is slowly continuing. Got half the hatch cover's cleaned up today. Got a guy wanting to trade some sheet aluminum and other boat parts pumps ECT for my Honda Goldwing Aspencade. If this works out the boat will get aluminum floors and casting decks. As well as an aluminum transom. Woo hoo. Stay tuned. And keep your fingers crossed for me that this works out.

Have a possible cash offer on the bike. If it comes through I will take that and what I can get from a loan locally and get airex board for the decks. Same as coosa board but less money. Really hope dude gets his money together. Lol. If not I can still make that trade deal for the aluminum sheet so either way I should be able to get all the wood out permanently.

Well happy day. I found Airex pxc board in 1/2" within driving distance and in stock for $180 a sheet. Yes you did read that correctly. So plywood and spar varnish are getting returned. Sold one of my guitar amps. Got a full paycheck coming Friday. And am eligible for a cash loan at the finance company. So this IS happening. Transom as well. Getting the pour foam from the same supplier. Going to also do a full vinyl job on the decks and interior. As well as a much more professional job on the livewell setup than I did on the bass tracker build. Stay tuned, this could get really good really soon.

Got the good stuff in my possession. Yay.
This is the Airex pxc board in 1/2" thickness. Will use a three layer lamination for the transom.

Attachments

• 15962271099517421523595104499157.jpg
    15962271099517421523595104499157.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 81