95' Lowe 16ft big jon upgrade

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJJ

Reaction score
So I got bored over the winter here in SC and decided that the boat needed a facelift. Its a 1995 Lowe "big Jon" 16' that I acquired from a friend that was leaving the country. Needless to say it was neglected, and that's being nice. Had a poor camo paint job that was feeling all over, rotten wood floor, electrical gremlins everywhere, etc... Used it like it was for the last year but the lady didn't really dig the camo much and this is a fishing boat as I have buddies to go duck hunting with. so here goes what ive accomplished so far

image.jpeg

image1.jpeg

new trolling motor mount

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

old wiring headed to the dump

image6.jpeg

starting paint removal

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image10.jpeg

sanding and fixing some small issues on transom

image11.jpeg

image12.jpeg

image15.jpeg

primed

image17.jpeg

after two top coats

image18.jpeg

on its new trailer

image20.jpeg

outside done

I used parkers bay grey paint and I can't say enough of how good that product was to work with.

On to the inside.

I liked the layout of this boat and it was functional for what I do so I just upgraded a few things.

image4.jpeg

inside before

image22.jpeg

new aluminum on back corners for cleats and nav lights

image23.jpeg

refaced console

image24.jpeg

one piece aluminum floor

image25.jpeg

floor for fuel tank and battery box

it is off to a local company getting coated with a marine "spray on bedliner" type material to match the outside. once I get it back on Monday I will begin the rewire process.

I have learned a lot from this forum already its a great tool for a DIY renovation that is for sure. If anyone has any suggestions let me know this is an ever evolving project.

she looks great so far. love the boat. that wiring does look like a hell of a mess but i guess it always does when its laying on the floor. :lol:

Thanks. The wiring of the PO was a nightmare (and he is a friend of mine :D ) all wrong, no fuses, poor connections, nothing worked, etc, etc. I'm really looking forward to the rewire process as its something I have to do for our work boats but never have gotten to do for myself.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=350370#p350370 said:
BJJ » 25 minutes ago[/url]"]Thanks. The wiring of the PO was a nightmare (and he is a friend of mine :D ) all wrong, no fuses, poor connections, nothing worked, etc, etc. I'm really looking forward to the rewire process as its something I have to do for our work boats but never have gotten to do for myself.
believe me you will work yourself silly- i had to keep telling myself KISS.

So I got the boat back from the sprayer last week, and I could not be more happy with how it turned out.

image2-1.jpeg

image12-1.jpeg

image22-1.jpeg

image32.jpeg

image42.jpeg

Got the floor for the gas tank and battery box riveted in this morning, as well as cutting all the foam for underneath the main floor.

image52.jpeg

photo.jpg

Once I get the floor and console riveted in I will start wiring and rigging the motor.

Thanks.

I'm hoping to get the main floor riveted down this afternoon, we will see how that goes. My biggest concern is that I miss one of the ribs drilling and end up with a random rivet in the floor, that crap will drive me crazy.

Latest posts