96 Evinrude 25hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsiftac

Reaction score
Picked up a 96 evinrude 25hp 2 stroke last year. Ran it a couple times before I put it away for the winter and now looking to address some problems. I was told by the PO that it had a 30hp carb put on it. Also had electric start added. It does run and start well for the most part. Two issues though that I’m wondering if anyone can help with:
#1: is this a fuel adjuster knob on pictured at the top of the carb? Black knobIMG_3422.jpeg

While running, it starts to putter out and I found that this knob comes loose and backs itself out. I tighten it up to its “sweet spot?” And we are back to running well. I can’t find anything about this particular one on the internet. Does it need replaced? I put some thread tape on it but I don’t think that helped.
#2: while running in forward almost full throttle, I was unable to throttle down. It was as if there was resistance to keep me from turning the throttle down. I had to kill the engine to keep from running into the dock. Anything to look for that could be causing this?

I appreciate any help. Lots of 25hp restricted lakes in this area so I am trying to get this thing tuned up right.

You are missing a part on the idle adjustment needle. There should be a seal, red in color, that goes in where the needle screws in. Marineengine.com will have the part and or part number. That seal adds friction to the needle so it will not change adjustment on you as well as seals against an air leak in.
As far as your throttle goes I believe you have a cable operated throttle. Disconnect the cable end at the engine and see what part is creating the issue, Cable, timer base, throttle arm, etc.

I’m back. I found my model and combed through the parts diagram but the carb listed for this model does not seem to have the same idle adjustment needle and thus no seal. I checked the 30hp model and a couple years above and below my model but still no fuel adjustment screw/seal that looks like mine. Any tips?

I appreciate the help, pappy. I was able to order a red seal. When I backed the needle all the way out, the old black seal came out with it in pieces. Took the boat out the other day and got the needle set to the right spot and no more issues. Thanks!

Latest posts