Add hardener to paint?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spcamno

Reaction score
I will be painting my jon boat this Spring already got some Duralux Aluminum Boat Green M736.

Upon research I can thin it with xylene for spraying but never mention with the need of paint hardener.

Anybody use this Duralux paint before and should I add paint hardener or not and what's your recommendation?

I watched a few Youtube videos people add hardener to Rustoleum for spraying just not sure if its the same to Duralux.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

That would be an excellent question for the paint manufacturer. Not just trying to be a smart ***, but they will be the best source for that info.

I personally wouldn’t go outside of the tech sheet for that paint. Adding hardener to paint makes it dry quicker but doesn’t necessarily mean it will be harder when it’s cured completely, plus a generic hardener might not even be compatible with what you’re using. Biggest thing is in the prep and how you clean what you’re painting. If going over bare metal you’ll want to use some type of metal prep first. I’d google that product to see if it has a tech sheet that will tell you want you can and can’t do.