Added an extension onto my trailer tongue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-CN- said:
I am not a welder and want it to be as simple as using a few bolts.
Also, my main reason for needing the tongue extension is for weight distributing purposes. I need to move the boat further forward on the trailer as I have added a gas outboard (which I never originally planned to do), and with the already compact trailer, the boat is already as far forward as I will comfortably go without the nose being too close to my vehicle.
I think I'm gonna start looking into just getting a new trailer, but my budget is under $100 for this project and that won't even buy a fixer-upper.

mite be able to get a piece of 2x2x3/16 tube steel long enough for your needs and use U bolts to hold/bolt it under the existing tube,,, mite be best to look in to the cost to have a weld shop cut and remove the old tube and replace it with a 2x3x3/16 tube, 100$ would come real close to getting done in our shop,, if ya lived a little closer do it for a six pack of ice tea,,, ok Ill take ''a'' bud lite,,,one thing could save you is get the steel bought take home pre drill the end for a new coupler and any other hole you mite need, probably going to need to add safety chains some how whether bolted or welded

post a pic of what ya have to work with

Just get a hitch extender for a camper goes in receiver on truck side. It's strong enough to tow stuff (large fibetglass boats)when a long camper is on your truck sure it's strong enough for that boat. Should be able to pick one up for under 100 easy they come up to 4 ft

riverbud55 said:
mite be able to get a piece of 2x2x3/16 tube steel long enough for your needs and use U bolts to hold/bolt it under the existing tube,,, mite be best to look in to the cost to have a weld shop cut and remove the old tube and replace it with a 2x3x3/16 tube, 100$ would come real close to getting done in our shop,, if ya lived a little closer do it for a six pack of ice tea,,, ok Ill take ''a'' bud lite,,,one thing could save you is get the steel bought take home pre drill the end for a new coupler and any other hole you mite need, probably going to need to add safety chains some how whether bolted or welded

post a pic of what ya have to work with
I never thought of the u-bolt idea and putting a proper strength tube UNDER my current one (or on top). I would have to get a different hitch with a bigger rise or drop then too.
Fin_and_Fur said:
Just get a hitch extender for a camper goes in receiver on truck side. It's strong enough to tow stuff (large fibetglass boats)when a long camper is on your truck sure it's strong enough for that boat. Should be able to pick one up for under 100 easy they come up to 4 ft
I'm familiar with these and have used hitch extenders before. However, I need my TRAILER to be longer so that I can move the boat forward on it.

After seeing the trailer that riverbud posted, makes me want a new trailer. I like the one I have because I built it from a kit and set it up specifically for my boat and modified it for convenience. I just did that last year too. BUT, I am wanting to get a small jon like a 1236 that I will leave stripped bare and just have a trolling motor on it and some oars for solo small river float camping trips. My current trailer would suit a boat that's 2 feet shorter than my 1442 perfectly.

Latest posts