adding a tell tale to a 1976 85 horse johnnyrude.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodknee1231

Reaction score
I have been doing some digging and am going to replace the venatherm thermostat on my motor I'm rebuilding. and came across this on I boats, adding a tell tale pee hole up high on the block I think it's a great idea and they say it's common to get air trapped in the cylinder 1 so adding a tell tale hole gives it a chance to burp and let the trapped air out is there truth to this has anyone done it? here's the link https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/engine-frequently-asked-questions-faq/228380-johnson-evinrude-adding-a-tell-tale

Although a small amount of air may become trapped in a block or cylinder head(s), that air dome would be happening mainly at idle and low water flow rate. Immediately would be cleared as rpm and flow rate increases. The cross-flow never had a problem with trapped air creating any kind of issue.
Adding a tell-tale never hurt a thing and is always a nice addition to an engine though so go for it.

I did this with the 85 I had, not so much for water flow, but mainly as I didn't feel comfortable not having a tell-tale.

Was pretty easy to do and worked great!

Latest posts