Adding Bench Seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Krusty

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to this great forum and just bought my first boat, a 16' Valco. This is probably the first of many questions. Wanting more space for crab pots, a previous owner removed the middle bench, the brackets that held it in, and the flotation that was under it. So two questions: Was that seat structural? How do I go about replacing it? And if it's not structural, how do I replace the flotation? According to my rough calculations, it needs about 2.5 cf more foam. The bow is full of rope and anchor, and the stern is full of motor, gas and so on. Sorry, that was three questions!

Some guys.when removing a bench seat, add long thin storage along the gunwales to stiffen things up. Floatation could be added.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Uncle Krusty said:
Was that seat structural? How do I go about replacing it?
Yes it was structural, take a look here: https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=47824 Do you see any signs of damage (cracks, splits, etc.) along the gunnels, topsides to garboard in the middle area to bow of that hull?

You could install a new bench seat if desired, but what boating use are you using this for? If on ponds & lakes w/ a lower powered OB just to putt around, you could provably leave as is. But if planning to add a 25-35hp OB or bigger and go zooming around fast, with heavy loads, into/thru boat wakes or in saltwater & waves, yeah ... you might want some of that rigid structure back.

Many things/options can be designed & installed using angle aluminum as bracing for plywood structures, as seats or compartments, no limits there really, less space & weight.

For floatation, I personally don’t rely on the boat’s ‘level floatation’, instead operating my boat within its limits safely, plus having good life jackets aboard as well as filing a float plan, having emergency signaling (rockets) on board and cell phone in waterproof case w/ waterproof VHF in my saltwater gear/boat bag. Meaning ... I don’t intend to ever swamp the boat ...

But yes you can add back in floatation. Guys here have used everything from pool noodles stuck in everywhere possible to cut shapes of 2” building insulation foam material, to the special 2-part poured stuff.