Adding Gunnel Track to Inside of Gunnel...?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking of how and where to mount rod holders, FF, drink holders, etc.
My top gunnel is a 1-3/8" square alum piece that runs the length of the boat. Not too wide.

Started thinking about a track system that would allow placement where items are needed. It would take several screws to mount track, depending on length. Sections can be cut to desired length.

Found Railblaza products....

https://railblazausa.com/

Any of you add this system or another track type system to your boat?

What other options are there for mounting FF, Rod holders, drink holders, etc?

Thanks!

Here a few pics of my rail....

It is a 1 3/8" square rail with inside flush with side of hull. Outside portion sticks out (away from hull).
Rail is hollow.

Attachments

• rails 3.jpg
    rails 3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 414
  • rails 2.jpg
    rails 2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 411
  • rails 1.jpg
    rails 1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 410
That system you linked has a lot of options/accessories. I wonder if you can bend the track to side mount on the inside of your gunnel? Seems that would be a good application for your set up.

One thought. The instant you include the words "boat" or "marine" the prices seem to climb. I have used T-track in woodworking for years. Assuming the spec's are the same (1/4" bolt, etc), there may be significant savings to buying generic aluminum T-track. Then add whatever marine side mount accessories you like.

Additionally, check out tacklewebs. I like their web cup holders for things like my cell phone and of course, cups. What I really like is if I brush by them they won't break off like a lot of the plastic cup holders.

Great tip on T track. I'll look into it and see if it will work for what I'm after.

I contacted Railblaza and asked about bending of track. They said it will bend minimally, but gave no measurement to the amount of bend.
I assume the longer 39" piece will bend 1/4" or less. The smaller pieces probably no bend. Track comes in 12", 20", and 39" lengths.

The 39" piece can be used at rear end of boat.
For the midship and bow sections of boat, a combination of the 12" and 20" can be used.
I may order one section of each length and see how they fit.

I just hate drilling so many holes into side of gunnel to install track.

I wonder if clamp on rod holders are what I should go with? The track just makes things nice and tidy!

Case in point, you could purchase a 48" aluminum T-track for less than $20. Maybe even less if not anodized. They are mounted with screws through the center of the track, so not as many holes. You can cut to length of course. You can also buy end caps or end stops to dress them up and remove any sharp edges. I'm not pushing these. Just another option.

Yes, the T track may be my go-to option. The Railblaza is too wide *(1.6" wide)...my interior rivets are in the way

The T track at HD is under 1" wide. Railblaza doesn't give specs for their T bolts. I'll need to purchase them and then see of they fit the HD T track.

This is what I found at Home Depot....It's thick and it will not bend. Because of this, I'll need to cut shorter pieces and place them where needed....maybe 3 (12"-18") on each side

https://www.homedepot.com/p/POWERTEC-24-in-Heavy-Duty-Aluminum-T-Track-Specialized-T-Slot-Track-for-3-8-in-Hex-Bolt-and-T-Bolts-1-4-in-20-and-5-16-in-18-71378/312372142

These are the side mounts by Railblaza....they include two different style T bolts....one for their proprietary track and one for the tracks found on modern larger Alu boats (ex. Tracker, Lowe, Lund).

If I purchase these, I can then see if they fit the T track. If not, I may be able to replace the T bolts in the Railblaza mounts with those that fit the T track.

Attachments

• 414lsQgdytL._AC_.jpg
    414lsQgdytL._AC_.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 373
Don't know if this is of any help, but I have Trackers with the TRAC built into the gunwale, everything is mounted to it using carriage bolts.

Yeah, I was thinking of longer pieces along the gunnel. I assume these are going to be mounted with sheet metal screws. Because they are relatively narrow, I wonder if the "rocking" leverage from the rod holder or whatever will work the T-track loose. With shorter pieces you might need to add more screws. Maybe there is a good reason the Railblaza has a wider footprint and use so many screws, IDK. Starting to second guess myself.

The Railblaza track has mounting holes at 4.7" on center and the HD T track is 5" on center. Not too much difference.

Now that you raised that concern.....not sure on the sheet metal screws....they could come loose with the constant "twisting" forces placed on the track. Through bolting would look hideous... with bolt and nut sticking outside of gunnel!!!

If I used the Railblaza track I would have to cut/notch out the track in areas where it hits rivets. Rivets are every 5".

After additional measurements, the Railblaza track will not work.. It is too wide (1.6") for my gunnel application.

The HD T track would work if it can be mounted securely and if the Railblaza accessories (T bolts) would work. I believe I can make the accessories work using the T bolts designed for track. The T track mounting using sheet metal screws is now my main concern.

I like the T-track approach. I might try it on my DMI1648. It matches the thickness of my top rail. Watching for more ideas. :)

It should work great for the cup holders and ff. I have used Brocraft accerories and rod holders on Tracker and now G3 rails systems. The rod holders have an adjustment screw to take up any slack to the top of the existing rail. We use them for occasional Muskie trolling and channel catfishing. Don't under estimate the stress that the rod holders may see. You want some good anchor points into ribs vs just a sheet metal attachment.

Just thinking :idea: , maybe another option If the track is aluminum,, it could possibly be welded on. It would be permanent but no holes and should be plenty strong,

So far, from the great responses and ideas forum members have shared, these are the options.....

The options below are based on using T track....see link below.

T Track

1. Sheet metal screws (negative: potential of coming loose from accessories moving)

2. Blind rivets...If tip of rivet gun can fit in track slot. Requires drilling a larger hole similar to rivnuts (#3 below)

3. Rivnuts.....(negative: requires drilling a larger hole than a screw/rivet) for rivnut to seat. Ex. #10-24 rivnut requires a 1/4" hole. Larger rivnuts are too large as their grip range exceeds what would be found in the boat's gunnel extrusion thickness

4. Welding (probably TIG).....Negative is they would be permanent with no ability to remove/replace if somehow damaged

NOTES: Both Railblaza track and T track can be used if welding
All other install options require the use of T Track as its narrower width will clear the boat's rivets that are near gunnel.

What am I missing?

Thoughts on each these possibilities?

Even thought of this idea since my gunnel is square but a little larger than the specs of this one. This one would have to be enlarged, if possible, to fit....

Attachments

• RB-Pontoon-Mount-19.jpeg
    RB-Pontoon-Mount-19.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 296
  • 03-4149-11-Pontoon-Boat-RailMount-Dimensioned-Drawing.pdf
    249.7 KB · Views: 7
OK, I'm going to go way outside the box here.

Everyone and their uncle makes rail mounts for rod holders, electronics, etc. What about installing a standard 1" hand rail tube along the inside of your gunnel. There are a lot of different mounting brackets and you could probably go with any length tube you want and probably bend it if needed.

Just tossing out an idea. Won't hurt my feelings if it goes "splat". Haha.

LDUBS said:
OK, I'm going to go way outside the box here.

Everyone and their uncle makes rail mounts for rod holders, electronics, etc. What about installing a standard 1" hand rail tube along the inside of your gunnel. There are a lot of different mounting brackets and you could probably go with any length tube you want and probably bend it if needed.

Just tossing out an idea. Won't hurt my feelings if it goes "splat". Haha.

I was actually considering bolt on alum grab rails on top of gunnel; that way the mounting nut would be below gunnel extrusion. 24"-36 may work in rear and shorter ones towards front.

I can even have custom rails made that are welded to gunnel!

I need to slow down....this was/is supposed to be a simple fishing boat! :roll: .....then I start thinking and get carried away about all sorts of upgrades!

Tin Man said:
I need to slow down....this was/is supposed to be a simple fishing boat! :roll: .....then I start thinking and get carried away about all sorts of upgrades!

I hear you. One benefit of slowing down is more time to consider all options. Maybe some cheap (if there is such a thing) clamp-on rod holders for now. On the other hand, welded on track or railing sure sounds appealing! I'm no help at all! Haha

I have thought about adding a t-track too but my boat has the basic round gunnels most jon boats have. I haven't devoted too much time to researching what others have done but figured there must be a way to either heat and bend a standard t-track to match the boats contours or to install it in sections.

Anyone have any insight as to how boat manufacturers do it for a new hull where it's a standard feature?

wmk0002 said:
I have thought about adding a t-track too but my boat has the basic round gunnels most jon boats have. I haven't devoted too much time to researching what others have done but figured there must be a way to either heat and bend a standard t-track to match the boats contours or to install it in sections.

Anyone have any insight as to how boat manufacturers do it for a new hull where it's a standard feature?

Insight? No. Wild guess? yes! Maybe a roller bender machine?

Latest posts