After 12 years, I've finally moved on

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinWI

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure there is anyone left on here that remembers my build (in my signature).....
That boat with my custom livewell served me very well for over a decade.....the motor was bullet proof...I abused it during hunting season...broke ice every year....
but last Spring I finally said goodbye to the old girl.......some of the boards had started to rot....I had left it in the water and couldn't get to it for a month and it essentially got swamped near shore.....made a mess of the electrical and didn't do the boards any favors.....so I sold it to a young kid looking for his first boat......I sold it for about as much as I paid for it a dozen years ago...including the modifications....
Anyway, onwards and upwards....I upgraded and bought a new Tracker Grizzly.....a bit bigger and sturdier boat...much heavier also....I said I was done doing modifications, but I couldn't help myself adding flood lights, full length green LED lighting, 2 Humminbird locators networked, battery charger, Minnkota Terrova with link technology. ...
Also put a removable duck blind.....another fun project. The boat is not quite as nimble as my skinnier Alumacraft, which I dearly miss, but it will do as I get older.
This year I'm adding a Jack plate to get skinnier in shallow water...motor doesn't kick up like my old two stroke did....another thing I miss.
I don't have photo's of the modifications, but did a couple videos if anyone is interested:

My son had a Grizzly 1448 and it was heavy-duty. I think it weighed more than my 1648. He sold it last year and got a 17' G3. He had me do all the rigging. At the time, thought why couldn't the dealer had done it. After watching your video, glad I did. Everyone has their preferances and how they use the boat.

I used the same shadow grass seat and track cup holders.

PS: On the G1448, the pin base was centered, like yours was. You couldn't use a seat with a "normal" tiller. They must think you only put the seat/pedistal in while fishing. :(

Last edited:
Nice boat, nice video's. Tell me, why won't your new O/B bounce up if you hit something? Or did I read this wrong?
with the new 4 strokes being so heavy, you need hydraulic tilt and trim feature....and that precludes the motor being able to kick up...it's in perpetual lock...
Something my brother in law found out when I loaned him my new boat and he hit a rock bar and tore up the lower unit.
The only way to get around that is to install a jack plate which has a kickup feature..... the jackplate I am installing does not.

My son had a Grizzly 1448 and it was heavy-duty. I think it weighed more than my 1648. He sold it last year and got a 17' G3. He had me do all the rigging. At the time, thought why couldn't the dealer had done it. After watching your video, glad I did. Everyone has their preferances and how they use the boat.

I used the same shadow grass seat and track cup holders.

PS: On the G1448, the pin base was centered, like yours was. You couldn't use a seat with a "normal" tiller. They must think you only put the seat/pedistal in while fishing. :(
yeah.....when I bought it I was like...I'm getting too old to do this crap...I'll just have the dealer do it....after they screwed up the first thing, I decided I should do it....glad I did....I actually enjoy it....just had to find the time to do it....and I know it's done how I wanted.
I still don't get the center seat position thing....who designs these things, guys that don't operate a boat?

I remember your project well. New boat looks great. Hope you're doing well. Have a great time fishing this year.

These motors are supposed to kick up, but only at speed !!
Slow or even moderate speeds will not overide the system. High speeds will, so the motor doesn't get ripped off or the transom gets ripped off. The idea of power trim means you can tilt the motor up out of the way to go over objects in the water. Can be a tough lesson to learn !!

with the new 4 strokes being so heavy, you need hydraulic tilt and trim feature....and that precludes the motor being able to kick up...it's in perpetual lock...
Something my brother in law found out when I loaned him my new boat and he hit a rock bar and tore up the lower unit.
The only way to get around that is to install a jack plate which has a kickup feature..... the jackplate I am installing does not.
I'm not so sure about this "lock" feature you speak of, but I'll defer until others comment.

well...it's not "locked" per say.... it's just not free to flip up due to the hydraulic trim....I mean I've hit **** full throttle with my old two stroke and it didn't even ding the prop....just popped the motor out of the water.... I'm sure that a nice rock bar or stump would overpower the hydraulic trim, but not without damage to both prop and skeg.....in my BIL 's case...damage to both prop and skeg....got the skeg welded and needed a new prop.....

These motors are supposed to kick up, but only at speed !!
Slow or even moderate speeds will not overide the system. High speeds will, so the motor doesn't get ripped off or the transom gets ripped off. The idea of power trim means you can tilt the motor up out of the way to go over objects in the water. Can be a tough lesson to learn !!
exactly.....at full throttle, you are even more apt to fly over the top as you are not deep in the water anyway, but I imagine it will override...don't want to learn TBH.....but at 3/4 or lower, you're coming to a sudden stop. lol

My fishing partner loves my boat...but it gets real hot for him on a sunny day. Looking at ideas for some kind of flooring mat that I don't have to glue down, but also heavy enough not to fly out of the boat when driving.

My fishing partner loves my boat...but it gets real hot for him on a sunny day. Looking at ideas for some kind of flooring mat that I don't have to glue down, but also heavy enough not to fly out of the boat when driving.
I just bring an old sleeping bag(blanket)...throw it in the boat. Those cattle mats are good but heavy,thats whats in the back of my truck.

Latest posts