Aftermarket Outboard Regulator: Charge Current

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashbuilder

Reaction score
Just purchased an aftermarket rectifier/regulator for my Johnson 15 hp 4 stroke; supposed to be a match for the OEM battery charger kit but it’s significantly cheaper. The OME part specs indicate a 12V at 6A output. Here’s the info on the after market part:

Specification.
Product name: Motorcycle voltage regulator rectifier
Operating voltage: 12V
Output voltage 14.5±0.5V
Material type: metal
Wattage: 450w (150w x 3)
Wire Connection:
Yellow Wire : phase line
White Wire : phase line
Red Wire : Positve of 12V Battery
Black Wire : Negative
Package Included:
1x Outboard regulator

Can I safely charge / maintain a 12v 7Ah battery by direct connection to this once installed? Or will I fry my battery? I’m only running a fish finder / GPS. Never really understood batt charging vs electrical load. Any wisdom greatly appreciated …

I retired from an OEM part manufacturer some years ago. I went back to work part-time delivering aftermarket automotive parts to commercial customers. The rate of defective parts would put an OEM supplier out of business quickly. There is a reason that part is cheaper. If you can afford it buy OEM.

That is a small battery. Better to just get a second battery to swap in or larger capacity that will keep your FF/GPS going all day. Guessing, a SLA battery. Should be using about a 1A chager on that.

May want to check your manual, most do not recommend charging the sealed maintenance free batteries.

Like mentioned, keep an eye on that regulator/rectifier. I tried one of the cheap ones and it lasted 1 day before going bad. I went back to oem and then CDI.

Thanks, I'll postpone the regulator install for now; just swap batteries when I tie up at the end of the day. I want to keep a charged batt in the boat for the auto bilge pump ... had a bit of a scare a while back after 2 days of rain.

I'd get a motorcycle or garden tractor battery with more amp-hours for a bilge pump. You will still need to fully charge it after use. The small outboard rectifer chargers need to run hours to significantly charge a battery. I am assuming you are docked but don't have power at it, so the battery needs to be small/light enough for easy removal.

CDI makes a decent rectifier/regulator. OEM is very expensive nowadays. Not sure if I'd venture into the tractor/motorcycle versions, but they might be fine. You get a few duds with CDI, but the vast majority will last many years. They are quick to send a replacement, and they will also stay on the phone and help you diagnose the problem. CDI is pretty awesome to deal with - at least on a commercial level.

Can I safely charge / maintain a 12v 7Ah battery by direct connection to this once installed? Or will I fry my battery? I’m only running a fish finder / GPS. Never really understood batt charging vs electrical load. Any wisdom greatly appreciated …
Definitely need more battery for 14.5v charging, you'll burn it out quick. If you don't want big money into it, I use the battery from my lawn tractor during the winter to run my Vexilar, LED lights, tiny fan, and phone charging. Mine is a 320cc amps, I can run the old FL-8 for at least four days x ~16hr/day. Really don't know as I have been out longer than that. Can get the same battery for le$$ I think down to 220cc amps. Also should be lighter.

Attachments

• FL8.jpg
    FL8.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts