almost done

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronbedard57

Reaction score
Hi All,
Thought I might post a few photos of my project. This is a 14' all aluminum runabout with 2 cockpits. There's no pass-thru from the 1st to the second cockpit. I bought her completely stripped. There was no flotation, the transom plywood was mush, and someone had slapped on a red and white paint job. Many rivets were loose, probably from freeze/thaw inside the frames. Replaced any rivets that were suspect. Think I got them all.
I've installed new wiring for ignition, lights, and horn, with a tap for any future additions.(radio?) I made seat cushions and teak duckboards for the floors. Got a 1989 Johnson and controls (28HP). May look for something different in the future if I can ever identify the boat.
I've added flotation everywhere I could put it, and there might be more now than there was originally. 4 layers (vertical) of 3" closed cell foam under each seat. Same foam up under the deck between the frames. Also, there's a "ceiling" under the deck about 4" down from the frames. I fastened it at the edges, and stuffed the cavity with a big armload of discounted off-season dollar-store swimmy noodles. They conform to the shape of the cavity, and I snipped each one to length when it was slid into position. Fastened the last edge when I couldn't cram in any more.
The bottom is painted, and I've polished the sides and deck. Turtle wax where polished.
The windshield came from a different project, and I had to fabricate the hold-down hardware. The white deck gasket is from Overtons.
I'd welcome any leads on the Manufacturer. I've scrolled through a zillion images looking for this boat, but haven't found it.
Happy boatinghttps://tinboats.net/forum/download/file.php?mode=view&id=109652
Ron

Attachments

• 002 ALUMINUM RUNABOUT.jpg
    002 ALUMINUM RUNABOUT.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 383
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 383
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 383
Very cool old boat. Just my opinion but...a grey paint job on that motor to match the aluminum would look great.

Would love a video of it on the water.

You’re right. If I keep that Johnson I’ll probably paint it grey. I suspect that 28hp will be fine for our boating style. We don’t pull skiers or tubes anymore, and though it’s fun to go fast, we’re more into a quiet cruise that doesn’t spill the beverages.
That reminds me. I need to get cup holders!

Wow, unreal, what a SPECTACULAR finish!

I'd say this is THE most incredible 'transformation' I have ever seen on here! I can't imagine the effort it took to take that old painted tin and make it SHINE!

To me the hull looks like a Cadillac. A friend had one, bright tin with Chinese red color trim. He wanted a reliable electric start mtor so he bought a Nissan eStart 25hp model from me. To make it look 'vintage', like the hull, we put a baseplate onto the motor that went around the powerhead, after taking off the engine cowling. Onto that baseplate he added an old 1960s or older Lark OB engine cowling.

Made the whole rig look truly vintage!

Thanks! I think it’s a real looker too. I agree that the motor is too modern for the overall appearance. I’m thinking an Evinrude 35 from ‘56 or ‘57 would really be an improvement. I’ll be keeping an eye out during the off season.
Thanks for the tip about Cadillac. I’ll do some research.

Ronbedard57 said:
I’m thinking an Evinrude 35 from ‘56 or ‘57 would really be an improvement.
Well, that would certainly be 'vintage' ... but I'd buy just the engine hood from a 50s OB and would mount it as suggested on a newer motor ... now THAT would be an 'improvement' :wink: !

So,
Shakedown cruise this morning. Hull is tight as a drum. Motor idles sweetly and accelerates strong. Steering is tight and responsive. Need to adjust the “throw” in the shift cable to improve movement into reverse.
I’ll mount some guides to help get back onto the trailer a bit more accurately.
Tested the trolling motor “kicker” too, and that moves the boat along just fine. It fits under the aft seat, and I plan to take it along whenever we go out.
Couldn’t be happier.

Thanks!
Still deep in winter here. Sent for a retro-looking GPS speedometer, and at the end of last season I mounted a 40HP Johnson from '62. Much better performance with four passengers. I'll do a paint/decal job in the spring. (already did waterpump, carb rebuild, fuel pump overhaul)
Come on spring!

You must have the make of your boat by now. In case you haven't, it's a 1956 or 57 Arkansas Traveler Custom Sportsman (CSP-14).
That first photo was the original paint scheme.
I bought one a little over a year ago which will be my project this winter.
It was good to see yours with a polish, I was leaning that way, and am even more so now.

Attachments

• 20211007_111313.jpg
    20211007_111313.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 0
Although I haven't seen the mention of it in the last few years, there was (or is) a product called "Shark Hide" (I think) that has been mentioned in years past by pontoon owners for protecting their floats. As I recall, it was pricey, but reputedly protected the shined aluminium.

Great job on a wonderful craft!

Best wishes.

Latest posts