Alternative battery setups?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
This is tangent to my "Relocating battery" thread...

I'm curious to know if anyone has a 12v battery setup other than the typical, single deep cycle marine battery for trolling motor and electronics?  If so, what do you have and how has that worked for you?

My boat (see sig.) struggles with the 9.9 motor and a decent load in the boat.  The 9.9 Merc (75 lbs.), transom trolling motor, group 24 battery (40+ lbs.), fuel tank, me (175 lbs.), my 2 yr. old (30+ lbs), my 6 yr. old (50+ lbs.), and a canvas tote of snacks and water bottles cannot get us on plane.  I maxxed out at 12 MPH when we went for a ride yesterday and the bow was high.  I was adjusting the trim of the motor and moving my 6 yr. old one seat forward (to the very front seat) gained us 2 MPH and brought the bow down a little.  I think that the motor was mounted a little high, so I raised it 1" (following guidance on how to mount a motor) once we were home; I still need to test this setup.  I think it could stand to go up another 1" but I'm out of transom to clamp on; I would have to look into a jack plate.

Either something is wrong with the motor (I detect nothing wrong) or think I have too much weight in the stern.  A different battery setup that is moved forward would probably offer the biggest improvement for the least dollar investment.  I do not have storage compartments other than a cavity under the front seat.  I would need to make some modifications but I can already see that a typical Group 24 will be difficult to fit.  I'm curious if anyone has used batteries like this:

12v 12AH SLA battery
https://www.ebay.com/itm/131151090450?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
s-l1600.jpg

You can buy these in a lot of places so the above battery is just an example. There are other models with varying amp hour ratings. My existing Group 24 interstate battery is 58AH.  Five of these 12 AH SLA batteries wired in parallel would give me 12V at 60AH, and would offer more flexibility with mounting (due to their size).  They should be able to hide in that front seat and not affect much, if any, flotation.  My group 24 battery is 4 years old at this point, so I may be needing a new battery soon anyway.  The cost of 5 SLAs vs. the cost 1 group 24 is around the same.

The other option I have found is a Tracker Lithium:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/tracker-marine-lithium-super-high-output-lithium-deep-cycle-marine-battery

The Group 24 battery weighs 15 lbs.  The cost is extreme and that 15 lbs. would still be in the stern.

There are other more extreme options - covert 9.9 to a 15HP engine, or new/different 15HP engine (Tohatsu has a 95 lb. 15HP 4-stroke now). Both options are expensive. I keep coming back to that a different battery arrangement would benefit the boat no matter what engine is on it.

Anyway, just trying to think out loud and out of the box.  Thanks for any input! 

I would stick with the group 24 battery myself. Those small batteries are not really made to power high amp draws like a trolling motor even wired in parallel. The connections on the the small battery is just a tab that is not made for high amps. Sounds like you may need to move weight forward but with the weights you provided it may be best to shed weight somehow if you could.

I think your issue is like you say, more to do with weight distribution, than weight itself.

I had a 14' Alumacraft semi-v (not a light boat) with a 9.8 Merc. With a full front deck addtion, front mount trolling motor, and a group 29 battery under the deck, it would still plane and do 12-15mph. In that case, the only weight in the rear was myself and the gas tank.

That same boat with just the addition of the battery/troller in the back (and a totally empty bow) would not plane at all and just plow at 8mph.

Look up Valence batteries too. These are used li-po batteries from medical equipment. A 40ah is a little over $200.

MrGiggles said:
I think your issue is like you say, more to do with weight distribution, than weight itself.

I had a 14' Alumacraft semi-v (not a light boat) with a 9.8 Merc. With a full front deck addtion, front mount trolling motor, and a group 29 battery under the deck, it would still plane and do 12-15mph. In that case, the only weight in the rear was myself and the gas tank.

That same boat with just the addition of the battery/troller in the back (and a totally empty bow) would not plane at all and just plow at 8mph.

Look up Valence batteries too. These are used li-po batteries from medical equipment. A 40ah is a little over $200.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing!

Sounds like less weigh should be part of the goal, but any weight I do have needs to go forward...OR a more powerful motor. I could change the speed of the boat from 8-9 MPH to 12+ MPH just by having my 6 y/o move that one seat. Next trip out I'll leave the battery and trolling motor at home and check the difference.

Not sure of your seating pattern, but maybe get an extended tiller handle so you can move fwd a bit.

Hi all if I can explain my rewiring of my 89 Alumna-Craft with 97 Mercury Force Mariner 40 hp with power trim.I started from front deck there is a drop down hatch in center as you step down from front deck. I installed a Positive Bus Bar & Negative Bus Bar. All led string lights running down edges of inside for night that is white. And a string of red led lights down outside edges. Two 3 1 1/2" to 4" Led spot lights on front of boat. I have raised box that was painted to match boat and carpets sitting on front and rear deck to operate all led lights and electronics like Fish finder. That all is tired to Positive and Negative bus bar in which there is a Pisitive and Negative run to the main power sorce. Which is a 12 volt Lithium marine battery.
Now as you come to Rear deck to left side behind driver's seat is a third power source that has Areator Pump, and something else wired into fuse block but still ran to front lithium better. There is a gang switch & fuses in dash that runs a timer for areator, running lights on front and white lite on pole. Another gang switch is ran to the bilge pump that stays on while fishing cause Bilge pump has a floating auto switch that has to have cont. Power. On the left rear corner is a new 12 volt marine battery that is wire direct to a second 12 volt marine battery. So they both will stay charged by motor. But also only have a 2 bank onboard charger. So you plug one set of cords to rear battery so it charges both batteries. Then the Lithium battery upfront on left side the other wires hoik up to it so onboard charger will charge it. The second battery runs the Rebuilt MinnaKota Edge 50lb foot control trolling motor. This is a flat bottom Bass boat that has had steering able replaced, steering wheel. New marine Midnight gray carpet. Has four high back seats red & gray two for riding and two on pedestals plus a almost new butt seat never used. It comes with a 300watt Pyle stereo and 300 watt Rockville 6 1/2" x 5" speakers. Only thing I need to do by spring is put water pump kit with impeller. Trailer was painted smoke gray boat painted Battleship gray. Trailer has two new wheels & tires, plus new wheel & tire for spare mounted on tongue. All bunks & guides have been replaced with matching midnight carpet. I am from Bowling Green KY and boat is for sale with a lot of new parts for $4500.

This is tangent to my "Relocating battery" thread...

I'm curious to know if anyone has a 12v battery setup other than the typical, single deep cycle marine battery for trolling motor and electronics? If so, what do you have and how has that worked for you?

My boat (see sig.) struggles with the 9.9 motor and a decent load in the boat. The 9.9 Merc (75 lbs.), transom trolling motor, group 24 battery (40+ lbs.), fuel tank, me (175 lbs.), my 2 yr. old (30+ lbs), my 6 yr. old (50+ lbs.), and a canvas tote of snacks and water bottles cannot get us on plane. I maxxed out at 12 MPH when we went for a ride yesterday and the bow was high. I was adjusting the trim of the motor and moving my 6 yr. old one seat forward (to the very front seat) gained us 2 MPH and brought the bow down a little. I think that the motor was mounted a little high, so I raised it 1" (following guidance on how to mount a motor) once we were home; I still need to test this setup. I think it could stand to go up another 1" but I'm out of transom to clamp on; I would have to look into a jack plate.

Either something is wrong with the motor (I detect nothing wrong) or think I have too much weight in the stern. A different battery setup that is moved forward would probably offer the biggest improvement for the least dollar investment. I do not have storage compartments other than a cavity under the front seat. I would need to make some modifications but I can already see that a typical Group 24 will be difficult to fit. I'm curious if anyone has used batteries like this:

12v 12AH SLA battery
https://www.ebay.com/itm/131151090450?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
s-l1600.jpg

You can buy these in a lot of places so the above battery is just an example. There are other models with varying amp hour ratings. My existing Group 24 interstate battery is 58AH. Five of these 12 AH SLA batteries wired in parallel would give me 12V at 60AH, and would offer more flexibility with mounting (due to their size). They should be able to hide in that front seat and not affect much, if any, flotation. My group 24 battery is 4 years old at this point, so I may be needing a new battery soon anyway. The cost of 5 SLAs vs. the cost 1 group 24 is around the same.

The other option I have found is a Tracker Lithium:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/tra...high-output-lithium-deep-cycle-marine-battery
The Group 24 battery weighs 15 lbs. The cost is extreme and that 15 lbs. would still be in the stern.

There are other more extreme options - covert 9.9 to a 15HP engine, or new/different 15HP engine (Tohatsu has a 95 lb. 15HP 4-stroke now). Both options are expensive. I keep coming back to that a different battery arrangement would benefit the boat no matter what engine is on it.

Anyway, just trying to think out loud and out of the box. Thanks for any input!
Some years back I had a 14' Starcraft with an Evinrude 9.9 (1994) converted to 15 hp. Also had a 12v bow mount trolling motor, three swivel seats, 6 gallon tank and a group 27 deep cycle. I made a suspended floor between rear and middle tank seats, aling each side I made storage fir fuel on one side and the battery on the other. This kept weight closer to middle and off the transom. With just me (180 lb) it would do 22/24 mph, add one adult and it dropped down to 18-20 and with 3 it dropped down to 14-15 mph, not quite planning out with three. Balance out your weight, make a place for it if needed. You definetly need more hp if your gonna carry three...either upgrade your 9.9 or move to a 20-25 hp motor, I woukd stay with two stroke to save transom weight....not a fan of heavy four strokes anyway. In small boats, adjusting weight and trim is critical!! I also carried a less pitch prop that I would swap out when three were on board to keep the rpms up.

you blamed everything except, and told us about everything except.........you and the boat. start fresh.

hi, ny name is ____________ and i weigh ___________ and my boat is _______________ and it _________plain with myself and my motor.

then we can better help you .

Latest posts