Alumacraft 1648 Project - Getting Ready, Again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weather wasn't very good for the week. We arrived late Saturday to the cottage we had rented on Corey Lake near Three Rivers Michigan. We had family obligations on Sunday. Finally got out on Monday. The wife wanted to fish Thompson Lake, one of our favorites when we lived in the area. We were disappointed that one of our favorite bait shops had closed down since our last visit. We did pretty well on Thompson and had fresh bluegill for supper. Tuesday was a beautiful day and we fished Corey. Took some really nice bluegill back to the cottage. We were going to stay through Wednesday, but Wednesday was a wash-out so we checked out and went to my mom's house. I got to do things like power wash the house, replaced the garbage disposal and replaced the rollers on the sliding glass patio door. All those things that you like to do on vacation. :LOL2:

We had a good time, but it is a long tow. We had no problems, but we are both 66 years old and I'm not sure if I want to pull a boat 1600 miles again to fish for a couple of days.

061919h.jpg061919g.jpg061919a.jpg061919b.jpg061919c.jpg061919d.jpg

Yeah, I have to agree that 1,600 miles is a LONG way. LOL.

The cottage looks great, the lake looks great and you got a couple great days of fishing in, as well as getting some needed chores done at your Mom's house. Thanks for the trip report & pic's.

Another year has past. I hope this post finds everyone in good health. Last weekend was the first time we were able to put the boat on the water for the start of it's 10th season. The lake we normally fish has been closed until last week. This is our latest start ever. We are both 67 so we have both tried to be careful given the flu situation.

Did all the normal spring stuff to the boat, oil and filter, plugs and fuel filter.

Got on the water Sunday morning and brought home 28 bluegills (brim around here). 20 were between 8 and 9 inches. The grand kids love them.

Take care everyone and stay safe.

053120b.jpg
053120c.jpg
053120a.jpg

We normally fish electric only lakes that allow us to keep our Honda outboard on the boat. This year we wanted to fish some lakes that are total electric and don't allow a gas engine on the boat.

I decided to pull off the Honda and install a bow mount motor as well as our transom mount. I decided I wanted the basic Minn Kota Power Drive. Everywhere I looked they were out of stock. I found one at the Factory Outlet Store and ordered it. It arrived broken. After many e-mails and phone calls over the next 3 weeks we finally managed to return the motor and get our account credited. I don't remember ever dealing with this bad of customer service anywhere.

I found one on Amazon and it was delivered Friday , undamaged.

My next task is to build a 2 1/2" riser to mount it on.

Powerdrive1.jpg

I finally got the trolling motor mounted. It's been too cold to work in garage the past couple of weeks, so I waited until the weather warmed up to start the project again.

Alumacraft john boats like mine have a 3" drop from the gunnel to the front deck, so a spacer of some sort is required. I have 1/2" plywood and carpet on my front deck so I needed to build a 2-1/2" spacer. I chose clear pine for mine. There is no easy way to get under the deck to use nuts and bolts so I decided to use threaded inserts that are typically used in furniture building. Minn Kota recommends using at least 6 1/4-20 bolts to secure the motor. I had room for 8.
I just have to wire it now. My batteries are in the center seat so I will have to run #8 cable through flexible conduit from the front deck to the center seat.

trolling motor 4.jpg
trolling motor 5.jpg
trolling motor 12.jpg
trolling motor 10.jpg

Getting ready for our 12th season with the boat. We both turned 70 this past year. Didn't get out as much last year as we wanted to. The wife had surgery in March and I managed to break some ribs at the same time. We are both back in good health and ready to be back on the water.

The boat has held up well. I put new deep cycle batteries in last year. The boat has been all over Georgia and South Carolina. Even been to Michigan a few times. If anyone wonders if a riveted boat will hold up and not leak for a long time here's proof it can happen.

We hope everyone is doing well.

012923b.JPG

Boat looks as good as your first post in this thread back in 2011. I'm glad to hear everyone has recovered and is ready to hit the water. I'm looking forward to your future adventures.

Boat looks as good as your first post in this thread back in 2011. I'm glad to hear everyone has recovered and is ready to hit the water. I'm looking forward to your future adventures.
Thanks. Hope you have a good year also.

Latest posts