Alumacraft V16 Modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTE

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm a new member on the forum. I have a 1982 (I think) Alumacraft V16 that I bought last year. It's a sturdy boat and in great shape overall, just needs a facelift. I'm planning on adding a mounting platform on the bow for a TM and anchor winch, as well as a casting deck. I'm lookin for advice or experience on the following:

1. Removing half of the rear bench and installing a pedestal seat. I was thinking of keeping the section where the support is riveted in, behind where the seat would be, and adding supports between that area and the middle bench, possibly hiding it in a compartment. I'm installing a subfloor with foam underneath to help make up for whatever foam is removed.

2. Is the splashguard mounted to the transom integral for the boat's stability or can it be removed? I would like to add a small rear deck if possible.

3. I'd like to mount an electronics control panel across from my seat (lights, TM, winch, bilge, etc.) does anyone have examples to share

This is my first boat mod so any advice is appreciated!

82 Alumacraft Mock-Up 1.png

Thanks,

Josh

Welcome to the projects that never end! :LOL2:

I assume you are planning a tiller vs a stick steer. I think the cut bench seat will be too tight to the pedastal seat and will be too cramped. I'd look to remove the complete bench, maybe build a side bench on port side. It might require beefing up the side to side connection on the splash well, so it does provide more support. If you go with a small deck in the back, it would provide that side to side connection. I just think the stearn needs to be laid out a bit better. A rear bench with tiller takes careful layout such that you are comfortable driving and have the room on the deck for standing/fishing. We had something similiar on my son's Grizzly 1448 but it always seemed combersome. I much prefer the open space on my DMI (see project link below).

I guess my main point is to take your time with the design, think out how you will use it, and maybe mock things up and see how it feels to you. The more things you work out before build start, the less changes during the build.

Thanks for your advice. Yes I'm running a older Yamaha 40 hp tiller. I may skip the pedestal seat, keep the bench and deck over it. I may hollow it out and reinforce the inside and use as compartments. The splashguard at the stern is going to be an issue. I've been researching on how/if to remove it. I've been plannng this build for about a year but it seems to keep changing! lol

Nice rig. I agree with Fuzzy....the cut out area would be too cramped for a pedestal seat. I am also reluctant to remove any structural support bench. Your idea of decking and a storage compartment are good. Just be careful if there is flotation foam removed, to try and replace all of it somewhere else. I thought of the same thing (remove foam and use as a battery compartment) but did not do it. Just something to consider as you build.
Have fun!

I guess I don't see the upside of cutting out the rear bench to put a seat there. If that's what you want to do, just put a pedestal base on top of the bench, that will allow the seat to be removed and swivel. If you want more room back there take it out altogether, and tie the sides into your subfloor. You want it to be strong, the rear portion of the hull has the most stress on it. I would have braces that run up to the gunnels, fastened to the hull, that tie into the transverse stringers which will support your floor.

A console of sorts on the side is common in tiller boats, although I've always seen it on the left side. Most have the gauges, switch panel, graphs, etc. mounted it to it.

Last edited:
You might want to recobsider removing the splashwell on the transom. A passing boat wake could easily come in over the transom and swamp your boat. Keep in mind you will also have the weight of a 40 hp motor hanging on there so freeboard will be less than you think !! You might consider adding a side console for steering rather than the tiller. I recently moved into a side consol 16' tinny and like the side console more than I thought I would !! This would save that rear seat as a support for the rear deck. You dont want that rear deck going all the way back to the transom due to excess weight in the back....on my boat the rear deck is over 24" forward of the transom. You mightbtry putting the boat in the water and create some weight and move it around to see how you boat sits and balances while in the water !!! Sitting on a trailer and actually being in the water is a big difference when distributing weight..keep us posted with more pics please !! We enjoy spending other peoples money ....LOL....

Latest posts