aluminum refinishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff F

Reaction score
Hi, The stripes and decals where deteriorating on my 1989 14ft mirrocraft , after spending a great deal of time with a rubber decal remover wheel on my drill, I Got the registration numbers and all the decals off , I used aluminum cleaner wash and notice I could see the outline of where all the stickers where . I made sure there was no glue left behind and have been wet sanding with 1,000 grit sand paper and rubbing compound with 3,000 grit on a electric buffer pad I can still see the out line of where all the decals were , It looks like if I am going to have to use a more course abrasive to try to blend were the decals where and try to blend it in with exposed weathered part of the boat , I don't want to go with something to course and make more work for me trying to correct scratching the aluminum to deep , has any one successfully done what I am trying to do ?? and with what ?? Thanks Jeff

I'd say you're likely seeing the 'sun line', the difference between where the tin was oxidized more heavily due to sun/UV exposure than where it was where the decals were on the hull ... in essence an 'optical illusion' ... making you think it's the areas where the decals where that is the problem, when it's exactly the opposite. The only way to blend it all would be to refinish the entire hull.

Can't tell you a grit, but yes ... you need something way more aggressive. I once used a flapper wheel spun up in an electric or cordless drill that had rows and rows of flexible abrasive rods that really cleaned up the hull fast. Believe they make them in a medium and more heavy or aggressive grit.

You could try a copper kitchen scrubbie pad with white vinegar on the oxidized areas first ...

Hi,

Gotta have a systematic approach. Maybe 1000 on a random orbit 4" or 5" sander. Follow with successively finer grits until you're happy, or until your buffer and compound can give you the finish you want. A final wet pass going horizontal gives a nice look.
Good luck
Ron

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 74
Ronbedard57 said:
Hi,

Gotta have a systematic approach. Maybe 1000 on a random orbit 4" or 5" sander. Follow with successively finer grits until you're happy, or until your buffer and compound can give you the finish you want. A final wet pass going horizontal gives a nice look.
Good luck
Ron

Wow! That is a thing of beauty.

Ronbedard57 said:
Hi,

Good luck
Ron

The mirror finish is incredible. How do you keep it that way?

Latest posts