Another Paint question.........

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evattman

Reaction score
Ok.....I have tried and tried to find "self etching primer"for my new aluminum v hull project. I finally found some in spray cans at Oriellys Auto parts, but its 12.50 a can, and thats ridiculous!(The Oriellys around here are not "paint" stores like some are in the north.) I went to lowes and found this.......please tell me if you think this will work......it says on the back that it "contains acrylic resin and is a specially formulated base coat for aluminum. Provides a tight bond for the top coat, resisting blistering, flaking, or peeling.

sd531434ui3.jpg

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1555&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I posted a copy of the link to my in progress mod.(not sure if I posted it right, but the link is in jon/v boat section on page 2) I used the rattle can self etching primer. Found it at Auto Zone for around 7.50 a can. It took 3 cans to do the boat. Money well spent in my opinion as I did a previous boat several years ago W/out the self etching primer and it did not hold up well at all.

Waterwings said:
I'm thinking it should, but also wondering if it would hold-up to being submerged. Any specifics on the application/useage instructions?

Nothing specific about application other than application temperatures. And all it says about usage is "specially formulated for aluminum and and galvanized metal.

evattman said:
Waterwings said:
I'm thinking it should, but also wondering if it would hold-up to being submerged. Any specifics on the application/useage instructions?

Nothing specific about application other than application temperatures. And all it says about usage is "specially formulated for aluminum and and galvanized metal.

Have you opened the can yet? Maybe you can return it, and then if you have an AutoZone or other auto store nearby, go with Alumacraftjoe's suggestion.

alumacraftjoe said:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1555&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I posted a copy of the link to my in progress mod.(not sure if I posted it right, but the link is in jon/v boat section on page 2) I used the rattle can self etching primer. Found it at Auto Zone for around 7.50 a can. It took 3 cans to do the boat. Money well spent in my opinion as I did a previous boat several years ago W/out the self etching primer and it did not hold up well at all.

I went to Auto Zone today to get some.......they had a place where it should have been, but they were out. When I asked about getting some more in, they said they were not carrying it any more. :evil:

Waterwings said:
evattman said:
Waterwings said:

Have you opened the can yet? Maybe you can return it, and then if you have an AutoZone or other auto store nearby, go with Alumacraftjoe's suggestion.

No, I have not opened it yet. I guess I will go back to Oriellys and get the Spray cans of self etching primer. They were 12.50 a can, but they were big cans. I think they were 19oz cans, when your normal size is 11oz (I think)
I just thought it would take about 12 cans to do it......or thats what I read on here.

It has been awhile since I did mine, but I know for sure I didn't use more then 4 cans. I bought 4 and think I still have one left or at least some of it left.

I've been picking up the Dupli-Color self-etching primer for $5.49 per can at my local Autozone stores. The store near my house only had two cans, so I grabbed them and then picked up another four cans at the Autozone near work this morning.

primer_can4.jpg

Joe, did you prime the interior and exterior with 3-4 cans or just the exterior only?

Thanks,

Mark

ok i have a pretty dumb question, i have an idea what this is,, but i wanna make sure.. what is exactly Self Etch Primer???? #-o

So, I just drove to another Auto Zone and I finally found the Primer in the spray cans. And it was 5.49 a can. YES!!! I picked up 5 because I plan on painting the top edges of the inside also.
And it only took 388, 612.00 in gas!! :D :^o

evattman said:
So, I just drove to another Auto Zone and I finally found the Primer in the spray cans. And it was 5.49 a can. YES!!! I picked up 5 because I plan on painting the top edges of the inside also.

pics pls.. and of course pics of ur boat,,lol :lol:

kemical said:
evattman said:

pics pls.. and of course pics of ur boat,,lol :lol:

you got it! I'm getting ready to go pick up the boat. I'll start a new thread in the modification section with pics as soon as get back.

Here is the primer.......

sd531447hw5.jpg

I bought a gallon of SEM self etching primer black from TCP Global online. A gal is 75 bucks and a quart is 22. I think it was a little cheaper when i got mine though.