anyone bowfish from a small flatbottom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seif5034

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an old Delhi 1232. I want to start bowfishing local waters next season. I am just not too sure if I'll be able to pull this off with any success because of the weight limits of my boat along with it only being a 1232 It'll be fairly tippy trying to stand up to shoot.

I'll be (more than likely) on the water by myself. <200lbs

I have access to a Johnson 6 hp outboard that I'd need to fix up (not sucking gas)

Was thinking about running a $100 Genny from Harbor freight powering 2 or 3 Halogen work lights

I also have a 46#? thrust Troll motor tiller steer.

That just seems like an awful lot of weight to put in a little 1232 and a lot of gear taking up space. Do any of you bowfish from a small boat like this? Would I be OKAY bowfishing during daylight in stead? Or is dayfishing pretty poor? That'll reduce the amount of gear needed by a significant amount.

I really want to build a bigger boat, but I don't have any money to drop on a new rig. I'm just hoping I can make the 1232 work.
Thanks for any input and/or advise!

I'm planning on doing the same thing, but my plans are to add 6" pvc or aluminum pontoons to the bottom of the sides to add stability and weight capacity. I'm sure it will add drag, but i'm not looking for speed out of it.

I only bowfish during the day. With a partner, I've put 50 fish in the boat in one day. I started bowfishing from a canoe and have bowfished from a 1236 with two people standing up. Legs get a work staying balanced.

You will need your sea legs in that boat, but it is doable. Recommend flipping the head on your TM so that it can be mounted to the bow.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=334456#p334456 said:
RiverBottomOutdoors » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:32 pm[/url]"]I only bowfish during the day. With a partner, I've put 50 fish in the boat in one day. Recommend flipping the head on your TM so that it can be mounted to the bow.

any specific strategy for day-shooting?

good idea on flipping the TM. I'll add it to my to-do list!

My only strategy is find the fish and kill 'em. ;-)

I like blue bird skies, a hat, and a good pair of polarized glasses. Overtime you will learn their patterns. Late spring and early summer are the best times here in Virginia.

You'll need a bigger genny to push Halos, get LEDs instead.

Here's what I fish from, I made this specifically for bowfishing.
C14538FC-B021-48F0-990E-4F6BFE764178-2656-000000BFF3C1C519_zps38b2c7c7.jpg

Running 7-150w HPS lights, and a 55ftlb minkota powered by a powermax55 all from a 2000w Yamaha genny.

I had thought about LED's but I'm not sure how well they'll penetrate the water down in Mississippi. I'd like HPS, but I'm trying not to blow the budget.

A lot of people like Halo's, they just require so much Power per Lumen of light, they are very inefficient compared to HPS MH and LED.

I can run 3 or 4 150w HPS with capacitors off my 800w harbor frieght genny. I could only power 1-500w or 2-300w halos off the same genny.

Latest posts