Anyone use a Cable Buddy?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentbravo

Reaction score
Anyone on here have experience with the Cable Buddy by Davis Instruments, used to lubricate the steering cable for remote controls? I had much more resistance when steering to right than to the left. I lubricated the steering linkage shaft that goes through the motor mount, and that helped some. I don't know if it is just the way it is, easier to Push the cable which steers left, than to Pull the cable, which steers right.

Here is the info page on it. https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/cable-buddy/

I tried researching it before, and saw mixed information. Most people liked it, I may have read somewhere that the cable isn't actually meant to be lubricated as that just attracts dirt. Makes sense, but the cable is also completely sealed in a jacket and dirt really shouldn't be able to enter in the first place... Now corrosion can get just about anywhere, and some light lubrication should help or at least not hurt. Also you wouldn't think they would be selling a part that can be dangerous to STEERING, as that has some huge liability attached.

I already bought it, and plan to try it, but curious if anyone had feedback about it here.

silentbravo said:
Anyone on here have experience with the Cable Buddy by Davis Instruments, used to lubricate the steering cable for remote controls? I had much more resistance when steering to right than to the left. I lubricated the steering linkage shaft that goes through the motor mount, and that helped some. I don't know if it is just the way it is, easier to Push the cable which steers left, than to Pull the cable, which steers right.

Here is the info page on it. https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/cable-buddy/

I tried researching it before, and saw mixed information. Most people liked it, I may have read somewhere that the cable isn't actually meant to be lubricated as that just attracts dirt. Makes sense, but the cable is also completely sealed in a jacket and dirt really shouldn't be able to enter in the first place... Now corrosion can get just about anywhere, and some light lubrication should help or at least not hurt. Also you wouldn't think they would be selling a part that can be dangerous to STEERING, as that has some huge liability attached.

I already bought it, and plan to try it, but curious if anyone had feedback about it here.

I don't know about steering cables, but you can lubricate control cables with a piece of rubber line that fits over the cable sheath. Clamp it down good, put some oil in the line, and blow it through with compressed air. Pretty sure Dangar Marine has a video going through the process.

I imagine that if you had some line big enough it would work for the steering cable too.

Ah so it is partly due to the dynamics of the steering/motor forces. I watched a few of the Dangar marine videos, definitely good info. I see my tilt tube is pretty pitted and ugly inside and he had a good video about that, so I will try to sand or hone it out smoother and it should help some.

DaleH said:
I prefer the ‘Steersman’ brand cable steering cable lube/guard myself.

But easier turning to the right is due to the RH prop & ‘torque steer’.

Hi DaleH. My Honda has grease fittings installed to lube the steering rod, which is what I thought the Steersman fitting did. Seems this Cable Buddy is oiling the cable itself. I am probably misunderstanding one or the other.

The steering cable has a wound inner sheath which gets corroded or broken. The cable itself can get frayed. Oiling will just mask the true problem for a while. Since it is a safety item, why not spend the money to fix it right? New one's are not expensive compared to an accident.

I think the cable part is fine. I inspected the pivot tube better since the engine is off the boat, and it's corroded and pitted inside the tube. Going to try and hone/polish the inside of the tube and see what that does. Dangar marine had videos on exactly that, should be pretty simple.

Here's the video if anyone interested, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ChE6ZmZfM

LDUBS said:
My Honda has grease fittings installed to lube the steering rod, which is what I thought the Steersman fitting did. Seems this Cable Buddy is oiling the cable itself. I am probably misunderstanding one or the other.

LDUBS ... you are correct, I was mistaken :oops: ! That Davis 'Cable Buddy' model does the INLET end to the tilt tube, so it will lube the cable inner sleeve/wire, that's pretty cool!

I do like the Steersman-type thingie on the OUTLET end, especially for boats used in saltwater.

DaleH said:
LDUBS said:
My Honda has grease fittings installed to lube the steering rod, which is what I thought the Steersman fitting did. Seems this Cable Buddy is oiling the cable itself. I am probably misunderstanding one or the other.

LDUBS ... you are correct, I was mistaken :oops: ! That Davis 'Cable Buddy' model does the INLET end to the tilt tube, so it will lube the cable inner sleeve/wire, that's pretty cool!

I do like the Steersman-type thingie on the OUTLET end, especially for boats used in saltwater.

I don't have the Steersman fitting, but am set up for the same capability. I like it too. I just need to get the boat out more so I can put some wear on the parts! Haha.

Latest posts