Anyone use the Simrad IS35?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyGrub

Reaction score
I am considering using one with a NMEA2K network to the the yamaha, instead of using the Yamaha multi-gauges. The screens seem much better than the gauges and can do both in one unit. I considered going to my old HB 999ciHD, but requires about $200 more in special cable and black box. With firmware updates long been halted, seems risky too. I also would like to monitor the engine while having chart and DF screens on the HB. When the HB dies, I'll get something that can be on the network, too.

Any users out there that can comment on your experiences?

I do have a technical background, so reading/learning about NMEA 2000 is stimulating for this retired guy. It seems to be very similar to the old 10 Base T networks. Garmin has allot of online docs to read.

The command link seems to be very proprietary/expensive and limited. NMEA2K seems to have it beat in all aspects.

Going analog gauges might be easier, but don't want to give up all the dash to them.

I have hooked up s Suzuki DF9.9 to a Garmin Echo Map via NMEA2K. It was simple and I am pretty sure it was cheaper than all the separate gages.

NMEA starter kit and engine gateway was all that I needed.

Some units have better compatibility than others so do some research.

Attachments

• VID_20210303_093743070.mp4
    5.2 MB
After reading about the NMEA2K network, seems straight forward. I think it is worth doing on this new boat. We will have it for many years and the number of devices will increase over time.

It looks like the Yamaha supports NMEA2K without a gateway, but if you use it, can get the "Yamaha screens". Tin Man just did one without gateway on his boat project.

I think routing the wires and cables will end up being the "fun" part of the job.

I think I'm going to go with this NMEA 2000 Starter Kit: Starter Kit

With a 16' backbone to reach from the forward center console to stearn: 16 ft Backbone

I am going to make the engine interface cable, which will make it easier to get through the engine plug. Here is one of the available pre-made cables: Engine Interface Cable

The only gauge on the dash is a large fuel gauge. If I can fit the IS35 in the same location, will get this interface cable: Gas Tank Interface

The Simrad IS35 is basicly the same price everywhere: Simrad IS35

Garmin has a similar unit, but for about $100 more. I haven't found other lower cost units to research, but still looking.

IS35 Manual

If your FF is NMEA compatible, you may want to connect it to the backbone and try it first. It may provide the same info as the Simrad.

Some of the Simrad displays require a FF/chartploter for info, like water temp, ect.

While it is NMEA compatable, it requires a $200 converter box and $30 special cable. I don't want to invest that in an old HB 999ciHD. I'll probably upgrade to something more modern and larger screen in a few years, and make sure that unit is NMEA compatable.

The SImrad will be just be for engine and fuel. I have water and air temp on the HB.

FWIW: I ordered the NMEA cabling and stuff. I'll probably wait to late winter to order the IS35, so I'll have 30 days to make sure it all works.

I picked this back up today to get my mind off pontoon boats. Maybe I shouldn't have. It was cold with wind. I hooked op a short network to just get the gauge and the engine talking. Gauge couldn't see anything from the running engine. Ohmed out the engine cable I made, the power, ground, Hi-signal, Lo-signal, and shield. All looked good and found no shorts between. Ohmed out the signal wires and saw the two terminator resistors in parellel (60 ohms). No real way to tell if the motor is sending anything. Cold got the best of me and put everything away and covered boat back up.

The problem kept knawing at me, though. Rechecked the harness in the basement and this time tested the signal pins with the engine cable installed in the network. OK, so if I short the engine connector the resistance should go to zero. It didn't! Turns out I was looking at the connector diagram from the wrong perspective. It was wired to Pin 3 - ground, vs pin 4 - Lo Signal. OK, long story, but I feel better that I found something. I will retest within a couple days.

Some good Yamaha/NMEA Info

Attachments

• NMEACapture.JPG
    NMEACapture.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It warmed up this morning, so got a chance to retest. Success! Communicating to the engine and can see it in the device list. :) We are suppose to get high winds today, so will save the more agrivating job of running the cables, for another day.

Another blustery day here. Hang onto your hat kind. At least it warmed up some. I want to get this operational for an upcoming outings on Thursday and Friday.

I got the "hard" stuff done:

- Snaking through the channel to the console and pulling the NMEA backbone cable.
- Mounting the gauge to the dash.
- Running the engine cable thru the bundle

Only thing left is to hook-up power, off of the main power switch, w/3A fuse.

Attachments

• IMG_7486.jpg
    IMG_7486.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7488.jpg
    IMG_7488.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7489.jpg
    IMG_7489.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7496.jpg
    IMG_7496.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7492.jpg
    IMG_7492.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7497.jpg
    IMG_7497.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 0
I did run into an issue, which is Yamaha Jet related. Might also be found on other make jets.

I am getting a "general engine fault" on the gauge. Engine runs fine, no warning buzzer, etc. I suspected, and my dealer's service guy confirmed:

Most likely what is happening is that the engine is displaying a code for a shift position switch. With this being a jet, the engine never shifts itself. From the impeller up to the driveshaft to the flywheel it just spins faster and faster as it gets more throttle. Yamaha doesn’t install this module on jets as it serves no purpose since the engine doesn’t shift.

If you would like this to not pop up you can purchase and install a shift position switch (technology used by Yamaha on all mechanical prop engines) at your expense. After the code is cleared with YDIS software it won’t return then.

For now, going to see if I can shut the fault off, on the gauge side.

Nice and warm, with no wind, today. :) Had an empty slot for a fuse. That and a couple of connectors and we have power. :)

Planning to be on the water on Thursday, so will do some configuring then. Water is high, muddy, and cold. Looking like a channel cat day.

Attachments

• IMG_7506.jpg
    IMG_7506.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0
I got to test it out over two days of fishing. The trim indicator was not working. There is a connector under the engine cowling that is required to be connected to enable it. Working now. :) Fuel used did not compute, but think there was something I had to reset when you fill the tank up. Fuel rate was working.

For the engine fault, it looks like I'd have to buy the Yamaha shift position sensor and a cable from OutboardJets. I'll wait until clearing the fault after every start, is too much of an annoyance.

Latest posts