Avoid battery core charge at Wal-mart

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.Mike

Reaction score
I just wanted to let you guys know that I accidentally stumbled upon a way to purchase batteries from Wal-mart without paying a core charge, or turning in an old battery.

While shopping for a battery, I decided to go with one from either Wal-mart, or Sams, mainly so I could exchange it easily if I have a problem. When shopping online at Sam's, if I put a battery in my cart and go to check out, a $12 core fee is added. When doing the same at Wal-mart, no such core fee is added.

I placed an order for an Everstart group 29 this morning while out in the marsh catching bait for the weekend. When I picked it up on the way home, there was no added core charge. $86.83 + $6.08 tax = $92.91 out the door.

If you need new batteries and don't have cores to trade in, this might be a good way to save a few bucks. I get that core fees exist to encourage recycling, but they are just another tax if you have nothing to recycle.

Now I have a shiny new group 29 deep cycle battery to replace the EP-50 car battery that came with my boat (it is almost new, so I am keeping it). Not only that, but when I checked last night, they had 5 in stock. When I ordered this morning, they had 7. I got one of the ones that came in overnight, with a manufacturing sticker showing 10/17. Fresh!

. . . and then take your core to O'Reilly Auto Parts and receive a $10 gift card
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Here is some food for thought....

Our supplier of marine batteries PAYS US for our core batteries, thus we encourage folks to bring in a core, whether or not they’re buying a battery, for that reason-as the more we get the more we get paid, and the less a new battery costs the end user.

Wonder if that also applies to walmart’s?

Scrap metal yards buy them too.....

Just did the same at my local Walmart. No core charge. Great advice.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk

I too just bought a new battery at Walmart for a new motor I bought that is electric start. When the cashier told me about the core charge, I simply mentioned that it wasn't right to be charged for a core if one did not exist. New battery for a new motor.....he took off the charge. Cool!! A helpful Walmart associate! My lucky day!!

Dang, I just got a new Everstart Group 29 at Walmart. I had no core and they charged me a $30 Core charge (I'm in Georgia). Wish I had seen these posts before last week.

Y_J said:
Dang, I just got a new Everstart Group 29 at Walmart. I had no core and they charged me a $30 Core charge (I'm in Georgia). Wish I had seen these posts before last week.
Core charge is $12. I confirmed this with my neighbor, who works at Walmart here in Savannah, and at Sam's Club before that. If you were charged more than $12, head back to the store and show them their flyer: https://i.walmart.com/i/rb/33756-98567_Content_Auto_Bat-Instal-info.pdf

Got it, Mike. TY so much.. Headed into Walmart today.. Coolness.
I may just pick up another battery while there (paying online first ;) )

I know this is in relation to an old post, but I did just pick up an Everstart 24dc for $75 at Walmart and did not have to pay a core charge. Paid online, went to the Walmart tower to pick up, no core charge. Thanks for the tip. I did not have a core to return anyway.
PR

Paul65 said:
I know this is in relation to an old post, but I did just pick up an Everstart 24dc for $75 at Walmart and did not have to pay a core charge. Paid online, went to the Walmart tower to pick up, no core charge. Thanks for the tip. I did not have a core to return anyway.
PR

This is good to know. Thanks.

I bought 2 of the Everstart's from Walmart about 3 weeks ago and no core charge. They were even on sale at that time, Group 27 for $70 each. I bought online and used their outside pickup service so I didn't even have to go inside. Good thing they sent a young lad out, because they don't want you to help or get out of your vehicle for the pickups.

I opened up a tote in the back of my truck, which isn't low to the ground... and he had to lift them 50lb+ suckers up over the bedside and into the box. =D>

I just ordered my battery online from walmart and they charged me a 12 dollar core charge. I wonder if it has something to do with the state or city I'm in? Not cool I hate paying for something I already technically paid for twice! Especially when I could use the old battery for something else! So not cool!!

The core charge was always there, built into the battery price. Not shown as an added extra, but after paying the list price, you coukd alwayscreturn the old battery and get 10 bucks back. Just was never spelled out on the price tag!

Just a couple quick comments on a very old thread. Old batteries have value. We all know that. I look at the core as a credit against the purchase price. A discount of sorts. To avoid it, I usually take a dud along with me and keep a dud on hand just for that purpose. One problem though. I've become so good at reviving old batteries that I have a few old batteries that all load like new or nearly so! Now I don't expect anybody to believe me either, but it is true. Former battery warehouse manager, reconditioner, rebuilder. I suspect though they lack reserve capacity so good for starting your boat or car, but maybe not so good for your trolling motor. For the record Walmart batteries are made by Clarios, formerly Johnson Controls, formerly Globe Union. These IMO are the best wet cells on the market and you can't beat Wallyworld's price. Clarios also makes Interstate and Die Hard among many others.

Latest posts