Baking Soda Flush

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Was reading about flooding the bilge with a box of baking soda mixed in a bucket of warm water. The purpose is apparently to neutralize any acidic nastiness that might be causing corrosion.

My boat has floor boards so I can''t see what is going on down in the bilge. I do rinse it with water a few times a year (run off from washing down the inside of the boat.

I was wondering if anyone here has heard of this baking soda/warm water flush. If so, is it a good practice?

I have heard of this. However it was to neutralize odors in a fishing boat bilge. I don’t think it would help with the moldy stuff that cause corrosion.

Yes, I doubt it would work or that too, in fact - might hurt. Corrosion is exacerbated when wet ... as the water can act as an electrolyte and since galvanic corrosion is an 'electric' process at its core (exchage of ions), you just helped to complete the circuit ...

Best advice is a DRY bilge! Pickup floorboards, add a 6" deck plate and leave the cover off in the bright sun, anything to keep that bilge area warm and dry.

Very few bilges are actually dry, but it is best to try and keep them dry. Keeping them clean will help stop grease, oil, and debris from accumulating and holding corrosive products. What I have found is drop one or two dishwasher packets into the bilge and add a few gallons of water. Go for a ride and let it swish around!!! When your back home, drain and flush, your bilge will be squeeky clean, and smell good!! Now let it dry and it will dry much easier due to all the oil, grease and crud being gone.

I usually put a few drops of Dawn dish soap in my bulge before I go fishing to slosh around & keep things clean. Works great for me

crazymanme2 said:
I usually put a few drops of Dawn dish soap in my bulge before I go fishing to slosh around & keep things clean. Works great for me

I'm going slightly off on a detour here. I found that Dawn Power Wash spray is great for cleaning the cast iron grills. We kept a couple bottles in the trailer when we used to go camping all the time.

Latest posts