Bass Tracker II - Flats Poling Style Skiff

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texas2012

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I have stolen so many ideas and I want to thank everyone for posting their projects. My plan is to have my project completed by early Spring. I have learned a tremendous amount through this website and by trial and error. Here are a couple of tips for people who are looking to purchase a boat.

When purchasing off of Craigslist (Texas residents especially) make sure it has a title. I found this boat on craigslist for $400. I negotiated a sale price of $350. This boat needed some welding but was a great platform to customize. It did not have a title. I read online to get a bill of sale and you can apply for a title. Texas Parks and Wildlife says differently. They would not let me get a title using the bill of sell because the boat was already titled in another persons name (any craft over 15 ft long requires a title in Texas.) I had two options at that point. The first was to get a bonded title. The bonded title option would have been expensive and could have back fired if someone else tried to claim the boat. The second was to locate the person on the title and get a power of attorney signed. Texas Parks and Wildlife gave me the name and address of the person that held the title. I did a google search for a phone number. I called about 50 people in and around the Houston area. Finally, I decided to drive 45 minutes to the address and I lucked out. The owner's ex wife still lived there and gave me the contact info for her ex-husband who now resides in Louisiana. I contacted him and was able to get the required paperwork signed. He also told me some history of the boat. He actually sank the boat in lake conroe after hitting a stump. He sold the boat shortly there after because he did not have the money to repair. Texas Parks and Wildlife said so many people are not able to do that. Please make sure you get a title.

[Boat 36.jpgimg][Boat 35.jpg/img]

The second piece of advice I would like to give is find a good welder or learn how to weld. The boat needed some welding. I researched online and found a guy in Pasadena that did aluminum boat repair. I took the boat to his shop. I will not go into all the detail but when I finally got the boat back 7 months later it was in worse condition than when I purchased. I did not know what to do next. I considered selling and taking a loss. My wife convinced me otherwise and I found another welder. Mr. Klein with Klein Fabricating was awesome. He was hesitant at fixing my boat. He said fixing other welders' mistakes usually causes more but I convinced him to take the job. He re-welded everything, cut the transom down to accommodate a short shaft, welded a Fulton swing away tongue so the boat would fit into my garage. We decided to remove the wood transom and he built a solid aluminum transom so I never have to worry about wood rot. The boat looked great when I picked it up.

Now, to the project. I am building a flats style poling skiff. I have been watching the other thread about the flats skiff very closely. They are doing a great job. I may steal an idea or two from them. Below are the pics to show my progress up to date:

[Boat 29.jpgiBoat 28.jpgmg][/Boat 27.jpgBoat 25.jpgBoat 24.jpgBoat 23.jpgiBoat 21.jpgBoat 9.jpgBoat 8.jpgBoat 10.jpgBoat 20.jpgBoat 2.jpg

Attachments

• Boat 7.jpg
    Boat 7.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 3,633
  • Boat 11.jpg
    Boat 11.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 3,633
Here are some additional pics:

[ATTACH type="full" alt="Boat%2019.jpg"]9[/ATTACH][[ATTACH type="full" alt="Boat 18.jpg"]42969._xfImport[/ATTACH][ATTACH type="full" alt="Boat 16.jpg"]42970._xfImport[/ATTACH][ATTACH type="full" alt="Boat 17.jpg"]42971._xfImport[/ATTACH][ATTACH type="full" alt="Boat 13.jpg"]42972._xfImport[/ATTACH][ATTACH type="full" alt="Boat 5.jpg"]42973._xfImport[/ATTACH][ATTACH type="full" alt="Boat 3.jpg"]42974._xfImport[/ATTACH][ATTACH type="full" alt="Boat 4.jpg"]42975._xfImport[/ATTACH][ATTACH type="full" alt="Boat 6.jpg"]42976._xfImport[/ATTACH][ATTACH type="full" alt="Boat Trailer Paint 1.jpg"]42977._xfImport[/ATTACH]/img]

I have big plans for this boat. I will be using a 35 horse 1992 Johnson tiller. I found a guy in Houston that rebuilds them. I had go through it top to bottom. It is currently at a friends body shop getting painted. I did not want to tackle that project. I figured I have my hands full right now. It will be pearl white and I ordered new original decals to put on.

Attachments

• Boat 19.jpg
    Boat 19.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 3,600
Hello Everyone,

I painted the second and final coat of black enamel on the trailer this afternoon. I should be able to put the trailer back together tomorrow night. I will post a picture when the trailer is completed. Below is a summary of what was done:

1. New fenders welded on
2. New bearings along with buddy bearings
3. I purchased the buddy bearing covers
4. New lights
5. Primed and painted
6. New winch
7. New winch stand (I will post the ordering info tomorrow. The website address is at my office. I found a place that has a great deal on quality trailer parts)
8. New bunk hardware (purchased at the same place I ordered the winch stand from)
9. New bunks with black carpet
10. New Fulton F2 Jack (THE BEST ON THE MARKET)
11. New tires and rims for the trailer
12. Primed and paint the old steel rim for the spare. Purchased new tire for spare
13. Install spare tire carrier to side of trailer

[photo-26.jpgimg][photo-27.jpgphoto-28.jpgphoto-29.jpgphoto-31.jpg/img]

deff cant wait to see your approach since we are just finishing up ours and went after the same style. you paint looks great deff cant wait to see your decks and what not. that is one heck of a trailer jack!

Yes, I plan to use in saltwater. The trailer is actually a galvanized trailer. I used a special primer on top of the galvanized and then primed it again with the the rust stop ruddy brown.

Yes, the guys' name was Mark.

I completed a few other tasks.

First, the motor I purchased from a gentleman located in Bellaire, Texas. He is a proffessor by trade but does engine work on the side. He obtained this 1992 Johnson tiller with electric start. He completly went through the engine, basically the inside is all new. It does have an altenator on the engine. I am trying to figure out its output and how fast it can recharge the battery so I know what I can hook up to the start battery and not the trolling motor. The pics of the before engine are on his website. The engine is a 25 that he converted to a 35 by installing a 35 carborator. There are more details to what he did on the website. On the gulf coast you need to be careful of buying outboards that were used in salt water and not properly maintained after. This engine has had little saltwater use if any. The motor looked like it had been spray painted white. The cowling was really rough and was a different shade of offwhite. The decals were torn, etc. He went through the engine and then broke the engine back in per specs. He is a certified OMC mechanic.

https://mccauleyandson.com/

[/attachment]img]motor2.JPGmotor3.JPG

I took the outboard to a friends body shop and they painted a pearl white. You can not notice in the pics below but in the sunlight it looks really good. I ordered the original 1992 decals. I also need to add the three pieces that unscrewed from the cowling when we painted. They were painted as well. It will look really nice when complete.

I pretty much completed the trailer. The only item I have left to do is add the guide on posts. I put the boat back on the trailer.

trailer1.JPGtrailer2.JPGtrailer3.JPG

Next I need to sand down the existing green coat. I will then put the final coat on. I spoke to Interlux and I ordered a flatner agent to mix in so the paint is not so shiny. Once that is complete I will work on the inside of the boat.

Originally my plan was to make this boat like flats poling skiff. After much thought I have decided to change my plan. I am in the process of re-painting the boat using Parkers Hunter Green. I did not like the Interlux green I painted (way to much gloss and the green is not a hunter green). I am currently researching flooring options, carpet or vinyl. I am leaning toward vinyl much like the 79 Bass Tracker II build I saw on this sight. My motor is a tiller steer and I am designing a center console with grab bar. I will have all the batteries in this console which will make wiring easier. I picked a great marine stereo on clearance yesterday at Academy and in the process of purchasing a Lowrance GPS/fish finder that they have on sale. I still have to cut the hatches for the rear deck. As you can see I left an opening in the rear deck to make washing everything out easier. I will be using this boat for fishing and duck hunting. I am also making the floor removable. That is why I went with plywood instead of the aluminum floor. I am still working on the bow design, may make a few changes.

photo-17.jpg
motor side view.jpg
photo-15.jpg
photo-14.jpg
photo-13.jpg
photo-12.jpg
photo-11.jpg
photo-10.jpg
photo-9.jpg
photo-8.jpg
photo-4.jpg

Texas2012; you've mastered authoring an intriguing build thread. Thank you and I look forward to seeing and reading as it continues.

Latest posts