Bass, worms, and results...Part Two

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
My brother in law had been properly enthused by my reported earlier success. The evening after we had fished, I had caught the biggest bass of the day...and the biggest bass for this season, so far. He was home, and didn't know of results of my evening trip until the following morning.

Our next scheduled fishing adventure was July 2, and it was with only a few hours to spare mid-day.

He came roaring back to the cottage, looking to get ahead or to get even at least. Having never caught a large bass, he, none-the-less, wanted to thrash the lake-water in the middle of a busy, hot, and sunny holiday Saturday.

I humored him and out we went to my favorite little lake. Sure enough, holiday boating was in full swing.

The moon charts said...."Forget It!". The many jet-skis and water-skiers surrounding the boat said "Forget It!". The hot, hazy, humid, windy conditions said "Forget It! ".

We putt-putted out from my dock and headed up wind, to a number of docks with shade-producing boats swinging from their lines.

On the way, we came across a tiny patch of lily-pads. Not even three feet in width, they provided the only shade for a hiding fish within fifty yards.

I told him to throw his worm next to the target. I think he thought that, once again, I must be nuts. His second flip was followed by a quiet cry of "I've got a fish".

Sure enough, a ten inch long bass was hiding in that patch of weedy growth, in the middle of the nearly barren corner of water. It had sucked in his wacky-rigged worm. The fish came quickly to the boat and we took the required photo.

A minor success, given the conditions, but a success it was. My B.I.L. hadn't caught anything bigger during his abbreviated fishing career, so he was a happy guy.

The wind and waves combined to make fishing a mess. Heat; humidity; water-skiers and the general malaise of a near 90 degree warmth didn't add to my confidence in finding many more bass.

We worked the shade provided by the docked boats, followed by some weeds, where I had success a few days before.... to no avail on this day. I drifted the skiff over weed-bed after weed-bed and we cast, retrieved and then even dragged worms as we moved with the wind. I did have my BIL change to a Texas rig, the better to work its way through the tangled and catchy weed beds.

His hook was too small; his worm was too big; and the conditions were poor...when, suddenly...I heard the familiar.... "I've got a fish on". I asked if it was bigger than the previous catch and he replied that he wasn't sure. I suggested that I might just be able to "lip" the bass into the boat if it wasn't too big.

Peering over the side, I saw a MUCH larger bass swimming aside the skiff. Wow...no lipping with his first REAL fish for me. I know how to keep the family happy, and it isn't by dropping his treasured catch in while I was being a Smart -A$$.

Reaching for my muskie net, I found that ..this morning, of all mornings, I had failed to unlock the bicycle cable that I use. I leave the net in the boat, in full view of dozens of revelers at the bar next to the dock, and have been locking it up after each trip.

For the first time in years, I had forgotten to free it before putting a rod in the water. As Jim played his fish, which apparently jumped at boat-side once, I undid the combination lock.

He'd kept the fish entertained while I fumbled away valuable time, but we soon had his trophy netted and in the boat. We were too excited to remember to to measure her, but a picture is worth a thousand words, as they say!

She was my BIL's biggest fish of any species to date. She was a surprise to this old fisherman, coming to the net on an awful appearing day. I guess even old folks like me can learn that...

"the best time to go fishing, is when you can"...

regards, rich

12011-07-02%25252013.05.00.jpg

Nice fish for sure.
I agree,theres know better time to fish then when you can.

:twisted: Good report!!!! Congrats on the solid largie. Time on the water in ALL conditions is the number one factor in becoming a better fisherman.

Latest posts