Bear trailer issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the hammer said:
I tried lifting the tongue off the hitch by raising the trailer jack but I don’t know if that would really prove anything.

I do the same thing with the travel trailer. Just to make sure. Actually, I have to do that in order to hook up the weight distribution bars, but it seems like a good test to me.

My coupler has a spring and a nylock lock nut. I actually have to remove the coupler from the trailer to fit the boat in the garage at an angle and be able to close the door. Does your coupler have a spring under that metal plate?

Attachments

• coupler1.jpg
    coupler1.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 507
JL8Jeff said:
My coupler has a spring and a nylock lock nut. I actually have to remove the coupler from the trailer to fit the boat in the garage at an angle and be able to close the door. Does your coupler have a spring under that metal plate?

Yes.

The metal plate under the nut has raised sides that keep the nut from backing off.

I’m wondering if it might be to my advantage to make the hitch ball higher by 2” rather than hitch and trailer being level. I can’t help but think it may have helped.

LDUBS said:
I don't think you would gain anything by raising the hitch. Better to keep the trailer level I think.

Exactly...raising the hitch will make the ball/coupler connection 'off center'. More centered the connection, the less chance of it jumping off due to an incomplete closure of the latch.

You guys are probably right, considering how close I have it to level!

If your hitch is adjusted correctly it should have some resistance when closing the lever on top. If you have to stand on it to close it it's too tight, but if it swings down easy it's too loose. I'd buy a new coupler assembly if it's not welded on the tongue, they do wear out over time.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

Overall, not impressed with our new Bear trailer. I don't think they could have used any smaller tubing in the construction. I moved the winch forward 2" to make sure the bunks extended just past the transom. Trying to winch it forward those 2", the frame was flexing vs moving the boat! :shock:

I know my coupler is tight, can barely close by hand but will check to make sure it does have a nyloc nut. Thx for bringing the post to the top.

Latest posts