Best time to buy electronics

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadc

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a brand new G3 Sportsman 1910 and it came with a Hook 5 at the console and didn't come with any bow electronics. I am trying to not go crazy and buy everything at once but is their a "best time" to buy electronics? Black Friday, Xmas season, etc. My last boat was a center console and came with an Elite 7ti and that was all it needed but now that I have a bass boat I want to outfit it properly, I have the units picked out but GOOD LAWD is this stuff expensive. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Pic for attention. :D

Attachments

• G3a.jpg
    G3a.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 0
When new models come out, the previous year ( older model) are generally cheaper. My guess would be right after the new year when all the stores are getting rid of excess stock

Thanks for the info. I will do my best to resist until than.

Bass Pro will likely have some deals for Black Friday. That's about the best deal I have seen. The Garmin 93SV is pretty much the best bang for your buck unit at this time. They were $699 last year, $599 the year before, and I'd say they will probably be close to that this year. Since there is an updated Livescope system out now I suspect they may be clearing the old models out as well.

Last summer during their big fishing fair or whatever they had the Garmin 106SV for $999 I believe. But I'm not sure if that is ever going to happen again, and I'm not sure that an extra inch of screen is worth 400 bucks.

93sv is what I am looking at and it’s $699 right now. Hopefully they run a sale and I can get few additional discounts on top of it.

If your a serious competition fisherman, most any decent sonar unit should work. When I started fishing, it was just go wherevthe packs were, then I learned to watch out fir charter boats, then came flashers, then moved up to your basic sonar depth/ fishfinder and used these up until just recently. I bought a used boat that has modern electronics. I have been reasonably sucessfull when fishing, never big on getting my limit, just out to enjoy the fishing experience and the day on the water. If I didnt do well, it was a good reason to go back out another day!! I know have a Lawrance Elite HDI which is over 5-6 years old but new technology to me. It is awesome to see what is down there, but....has it made me catch more fish ??? Nope, yes it has upped my chances to catch more but no electronics has ever made the fish bite. I know how long it has taken me to learn how this thing works and I still have lots to learn after a full season of playing with it. Would I spend 600 plus to upgrade...no way...cant catch enough fish to make it worthwhile...but that is just me. A decent electronics unit helps to locate fish and lets you know when an area is barren but none makes you catch more fish. If I have a bad day of fishing, I find that as a reason for going back out another day!!! Looking back thru all my 60 plus years of fishing lake erie, cant say for sure that all the fancy electronics I have used over the years have put any more fish in my cooler, so.... does having the latest and best electronics on the market mean more fish in the boat ??? Have to think hard on that one,.....

When new models come out, the previous year ( older model) are generally cheaper. My guess would be right after the new year when all the stores are getting rid of excess stock
Definitely when a new model comes out. I lucked upon a Lowrance elite 12 for $600 because they are discontinued now. Also keep an eye on Walmart clearance I see them for hundreds in the stores.

I picked up a couple of Helix 7 G3N series after the G4 series came out. It wasn’t a steal of a deal but, I saved $100 to 150 per unit (don’t recall exactly) over this years model. Johnson Outdoors got their chunk of flesh in the end. This company nickels and dimes their customers to death. Read the fine print carefully.

Last edited:
I picked up a couple of Helix 7 G3N series after the G4 series came out. It wasn’t a steal of a deal but, I saved $100 to 150 per unit (don’t recall exactly) over this years model. Johnson Outdoors got their chunk of flesh in the end. This company nickels and dimes their customers to death. Read the fine print carefully.
I got the Helix G3N, too. BassPro had a number of them still in stock well after the G4N release last year. I got mine in February. I've been using it and it has way more capability than I'll likely ever need.

I haven't seen the "nickle and diming", but I'm sure that all of the companies are more than happy to offer "accessories and upgrades" to "enhance" your experience. :rolleyes:

Black Friday is very often the best time to buy. Usually the previous year's units will be on a deep discount. For instance, I bought my last Garmin Echomap Plus 93SV for $500. But then they came out with the Ultra for $600, which quickly went up to $900..

But right now, Bass Pro/Cabelas has that unit on sale for Father's Day for $599 again. Not sure if the sale is over or not. You might want to check it out, if you are in the market. I put a Livescope on mine, and it's pretty awesome. Those are $999 for the LS32 in the same sale.

A lot of money, but the units are pretty awesome. I'm going to use my current one until it dies, hopefully many years from now!

Boat Show

Contact your servicing dealer if there is one and see what they will do

Latest posts