Better connectors??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

amuller

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of removable electrical/electronic stuff on my boats. GPS, sounder, spotlight. The weak spot is always the "cigarette lighter" power connectors. They just aren't reliable--poor retention, lack of wiping action on the center contact, etc. I would like to ban these things but what to use instead.

There are these, which seem to have and SAE standard to conform to.

Then there are Anderson connectors, which work well but the smallest common size is 50 A, overkill for most applications. Note that the different colors are keyed differently.

There are also smaller 'mini" Anderson connectors which might work well:

(Amazon links for reference only. Descriptions and prices are often iffy.)

Anyone have thoughts/experience on this?

InSaneFisherMan

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of removable electrical/electronic stuff on my boats. GPS, sounder, spotlight. The weak spot is always the "cigarette lighter" power connectors. They just aren't reliable--poor retention, lack of wiping action on the center contact, etc. I would like to ban these things but what to use instead.

Then there are Anderson connectors, which work well but the smallest common size is 50 A, overkill for most applications. Note that the different colors are keyed differently.

I use all 3 and now a weird Noco connector, I prefer the 15a Anderson connectors, mainly because I bought a bulk pack. Advantages and disadvantages for all of them, but I do agree with your statement on the cigarette lighter socket.

airshot

Reaction score
I have used cig lighter sockets for years with no issues, but..I dont use walley world cheapies ! I spend the money to get good water resistant sockets and plugs, rated for 15 amps. I have a heavy duty extension cord type socket that is about 5-6' in length that I use to power my bait bucket aerator, been using it for 15 years over 3 different boats with no issues.

RaisedByWolves

Reaction score

Look up Anderson power pole 15A connector on Azon.

I found them there but couldn’t get the app to spit out a link to post.

thill

Reaction score
Here are the marine-grade locking sockets. They work very well, and regular cigarette lighter plugs fit in them. But the locking plugs fit in them even better.:
https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Marine-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B0002KRC5Y?th=1

The 3-prong Marineco connectors are what I use for more serious stuff, like trolling motors and large livewells or heavy lighting, but here is a similar set for 1/2 the price:
https://www.amazon.com/LucaSng-Marine-Waterproof-Receptacle-Replacement/dp/B08XMS2MPZ

Also, I just saw these. I like the looks, 30A rating. I am going to order a few to test out:
https://www.amazon.com/SZJELEN-2Pin-12Pin-Waterproof-Electrical-Connectors/dp/B07YWLM511/

Last edited: